Metal graphics support for macOS Big Sur virtual machines

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion' started by Maria@Parallels, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

Metal graphics support for macOS Big Sur virtual machines Get the world's first Metal graphics support for macOS virtual machines - run Mac apps like Maps, Pages, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, and many others. Note: Metal graphics is supported for macOS Big Sur (and later) virtual machines if Parallels Desktop 16 is installed in macOS Big Sur (and later) as well.

Please share your Suggestions and Experience here.
    We will do our best to tune Parallels Desktop for your needs.

2. TillIndy

TillIndy Bit Poster

Kind. But practically useless if only works under Big Sur itself. The point of Parallels Desktop, however, is to use operating systems on hardware that is actually not suitable for this and therefore has to be simulated. Simulating a system environment that already exists in hardware and works 100% makes no sense, at least in most cases. Metal support would be really useful if it worked with Mojave and Catalina to avoid buying expensive necessary Apple hardware.

3. SamW13

SamW13 Bit Poster

My experience is it doesn't work. The exposed eGPU seems to cause guest OS crashes when the OS is OS X (11.01). I even tried forcing an OSx upgrade to 11.1 which, even is experiencing issues. Without the eGPU connected, the OS X (11.01) works fine for days. with the eGPU, in about 4hours the virtual guest just goes 'poof' without even an error message :), though it is kind enough to later report there was a failure. I've been dealing with this for about 1.5months now.

4. A__15

A__15 Bit Poster

Same Here! TBH never tried it with onboard graphics, but with eGPU it crashes after sometime.....