Microphone Delay in Windows 11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by SoraC1, Aug 29, 2022.

1. SoraC1

SoraC1 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels 18 on an M1 Max and for some reason there's a ton of latency when using my mic in Windows 11. At least 1 second, sometimes even multiple. I've searched around, but haven't found any answers or much information on this problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

2. ChrisD31

ChrisD31

Same here... even with the latest Windows 11 and the latest Parallels Desktop 19. I've tried BT headsets and wired mics. Same 1 second or more delay.

3. ChrisD31

ChrisD31

Here's what tech support has to say about it. What's odd, is that I used Teams through Windows 11 on Parallels Desktop a few months ago and there was no delay, so I'm not buying it.

We understand you are experiencing delays and distortion on Microsoft Teams running within the Windows virtual machine. This behavior is due to how virtualization works.

Sound recording requires real-time processing of an incoming audio stream. Meanwhile, virtualization doesn't happen in real-time, but rather in short bursts, and because of that, parts of that incoming real-time audio stream are processed with a delay, and some are skipped entirely, causing information loss and subsequent audio distortions.

Since this behavior is a natural result of how a virtual machine operates, it cannot be fixed.

Because of this, it is simply not advised to use a virtual machine for real-time sound recording, capture, or processing.

If you have further concerns or question you can reply to this email.​