Migrating Boot Camp user info to Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by kenferris, Oct 15, 2008.

1. kenferris

kenferris Bit poster

I originally installed Boot Camp on a work Mac and then migrated that into Parallels via the normal methods. After installing Parallels and Windows via an Express Install in Parallels on my new MacBook Pro, I realized all the things I was missing on my work Mac with the Boot Camp version running under Parallels. So I created a new VM with Windows in Parallels and now I would like to bring over my user settings, etc. to the new VM. I tried the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard in Windows but no luck. When I run the FSTW on the new VM it will not recognize the files the the same created on the old VM. Am I missing something here. Tried the Parallels Transporter too, no luck either. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
    BTW I am not new to a Mac, have been a mac user since Mac Plus, but I'm not too savvy on PC operations, so I would rather not go mucking around in the registry to find things or wherever.
    Thanks.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Do you mean you cannot use Boot Camp VM in Parallels Desktop?
    It is the easiest way to use Boot Camp and VM based on Boot Camp (when in Mac)

3. kenferris

kenferris Bit poster

Sorry I wasn't very clear, was hard to explain. I can run Boot Camp in Parallels, no problem. What I am trying to do is to create a new VM and I have installed Windows via Parallels "Express Install" feature. I'm doing this because I installed Windows on my laptop this way and it runs better, allows me to take "Snapshots" and I can set it up with "user profile sharing" which is very convenient I have found. So with that in mind I am trying to "migrate" my User settings from my old (Boot Camp) computer to my new VM. I don't want to "migrate" the whole Boot Camp as that is basically how it was set up to begin with.
    I hope this makes sense. I thought the "Files and Setting Transfer Wizard" in Windows would get the job done, but I have not been so lucky. Thanks for replying.

4. John@Parallels

5. kenferris

kenferris Bit poster

Thanks for the reply John. I have done just what you suggested, I put the user settings on a connected network drive. the problem is when I go to restore, I find the user settings file (it actually is a folder with three files inside) and the program claims the location specified does not contain any stored information.
    The folder that the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard creates is called "USMT2.UNC" and within it are 2 DAT files and one called "Status". Is it possible that "USMT2.UNC" is supposed to be a binary file not a folder?

6. John@Parallels