Migrating to M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KennethR5, Nov 11, 2021.

1. KennethR5

KennethR5 Bit poster

Looking for any assistance. I'm in a catch 22 and have not been able to find a good path forward. Short story is that I have a Win10 VM on an old intel machine, that I want to migrate to a brand new M1 Macbook. I have successfully installed a new VM win Win11ARM on the new, but there doesn't appear to be any path to bring over the old VM?

The old device won't allow a Win11 upgrade, and even if I bypass and force the upgrade it is still an x86 architecture and wouldn't run on the M1.

Anyone have any good suggestions? At present it is looking like I will need to rebuild the VM environment, but hoping someone has a better idea. Thx

2. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

3. KennethR5

KennethR5 Bit poster

This sounds like a perfect solution, but I am not seeing the "Show Hard Disk Contents" option from the menu. Running
    Version 17.1.0 (51516)

Is there anything else I need to do to get that option available?

4. babbeto

babbeto Bit poster

Hello all,
    Did you have any solution regarding the above issue? (migration to M1, solution from KB article, not seine the 'Show Hard Disk Contents' option from the menu also).

Thanks in advance

5. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

What about simply attaching the VHD from the old VM as a secondary drive and do the data transfer within the new VM?

6. babbeto

babbeto Bit poster

Hello Aries,
    Could you please help me what do you mean?
    Give me some steps

thanks in advance

7. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

You'll need to find where on the Mac the VM is being stored (IDK the default location as I customized from the start), right click / control click the VM and choose "show contents", look for the VHD (might be a VHDD?), and use that path to point the new VM in its settings for the second drive. IDK if there's an article for all of that as I don't usually use the KB.