Missing Windows Disk Icon on Desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Nicolas Fletcher, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

Since installing the released version of Parallels Desktop 10, my Windows (8.1) drive icon is missing from my desktop.

I have tried all the know options on the Mac OS X side... and all my other connected drives (network, USB, SMB, AFP, etc.) will appear. It's not marked as hidden. And yes, I have the options set in Finder preferences (otherwise I wouldn't have seen all the other icons I've tested).

It does mount in Finder, appears in the Finder sidebar, etc... so it's not a functional issue.

So, it looks like something changed in the V10 release (yet another thing that changed from the final beta version).

Can someone at Parallels take a look at this please?

(Oh, and if you're wondering why I really need it: I work a lot with battery and make much use of Parallels automatic pause when no app is running in Windows, and I also use coherence 90% of the time. The automatic pause works only 85% of the time, so the icon on the desktop is a useful way to know if the VM is paused or not. But now it's totally disappeared.

2. koos_jorritsma

koos_jorritsma Bit poster

I have the same problem after upgrading mij Version 9 of Parallels Desktop and a Windows 8.1 virtual machine. I have tried all known options both on the OSX-side AND Parallels-side AND Windows 8.1. I realy need an answer as I need to transfer confidential information from Mac to my virtual Win 8.1
    Many thanks in advance for a solution

3. Geoff_King

Geoff_King Bit poster

Icons for the Virtual 'C: Drive' and for an attached WD500 Passport no longer appear on the Desktop or under 'Geoff's MacBook Pro' in the Finder Sidebar Devices section.

Similarly, an external drive which I have chosen to be 'mounted' only in Windows (rather than mounting automatically to Mac or having Parallels ask me each time it is attached to the USB port) is no longer visible on the Desktop or in Finder. I am going to experiment with changing that automatic allocation for my external drive after I have finished this post but I am not hopeful that it will miraculously solve the problem - as it won't affect the Virtual 'C: Drive".

The only way I can now see these devices is through Windows Explorer on the Parallels Virtual Machine for Windows 7.

This is a considerable nuisance as I used to have the flexibility to move or copy files from these drives using solely using OSX and I frequently took advantage of that facility.

These changes have happened since I moved from Mavericks to Yosemite 10.10 and since installing the latest version of Parallels: Build 9.0.24251, (Revision 1052177; Thursday, August 8, 2014)). I installed the latest version of Parallels 9 some time before I upgraded to Yosemite and didn't notice this problem with this version of Parallels on Mavericks (N.B. me not noticing it means that it probably wasn't an issue on Mavericks and it is only since the move to Yosemite that it has occurred - but I can't be certain).

My Time Machine external drive does appear correctly - as it always has.

So it seems that this is a problem related to the 'patch' that was done to Parallels 9 during the Beta testing of Yosemite and that it has presumably been carried forward into Parallels 10 AND that it probably only manifests itself on Yosemite. Alternatively, it could be that Yosemite no longer displays virtual drives in the way that Mavericks did?

(Environment: MacBook Pro, late 2013 Model with Solid State Storage).