ML VM on Lion, lots of issues

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Jean Mertz, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Jean Mertz

Jean Mertz Bit poster

I've been trying to set up a Mountain Lion VM on my current Lion install. I wanted to try out a few things in the VM before I install ML but I keep running into issues (using Parallels Desktop 7):

- Trackpad gestures do not work (specifically the new ML Notification Center gesture, but also four-finger swipe up/down/left/right)

- Whenever the Notification Center slides open (using the icon at the top right of the screen), a red square can be seen, flickering on the screen. This also happens when scrolling up/down inside the notification center.

- When I want to open Launchpad, the VM freezes for a very long time and things become extremely sluggish. I had this same issue several months ago when I ran a Lion VM, but I was hoping Parallels would have fixed this by now.

Any clues on how to solve these issues? I already have the Parallels tools installed, did a reboot, reinstalled the VM. Same problems keep coming back.

2. rmartinsjr

rmartinsjr Bit poster

Launchpad issue

I'm running ML virtual machine on ML, using Parallels Desktop 8. All other issues don't bother me, but waiting minutes to have launchpad open does bother. Did anyone find the solution?

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

TouchPad device is not emulated in the PD8 yet, thus you can use it as Trackpad only without Gestures.

Unfortunately it seems Apple's bug if guests drivers does not support 3D acceleration.

Thank you,
    Alexg

4. ErichL

ErichL Bit poster

Need more video RAM

I had issues with my ML VM hanging before the installer even loaded, I went into the VM's settings, changed the CPU's to 2 (not sure if this mattered) and under Hardware> Video increased Video memory from the default of 32MB to 128MB.

10.8 has more demanding graphics requirements, that's supposedly why it doesn't run on a lot of older Macs from what I could gather online. I assume this was the cause, the installer is running now.

This is running on Parallels v7 by the way.