More SusE 10.1 Installation Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by RandyS, May 22, 2006.

1. RandyS

RandyS Member

Hi,

In an earlier thread, Problem Installing SuSE 10.1, I mentioned the problem I had performing a SuSE 10.1 install using the installation DVD. Jan Wittrodt suggested I try the CDs instead, so I did.

This gets me much farther, but not all the way to the end. In fact, installation proceeds smoothly until the very last step, “Hardware Configuration.†When the installer reaches this stage, it hangs. It fills out the description under “Graphics Cards†but the later ones, “Printers,†“Sound,†“TV Cards†and “Bluetooth†show only “analyzing your system.â€

At this point nothing changes. The cursor is a spinning clock face. The GUI elements (radio buttons, pop-up menus) react, but have no effect. For kicks, I suspended the VM and restarted it. The state afterward is exactly the same.

Network setup and the attempt to contact the SuSE servers for registration and updates failed, because I’ve yet to put in place the modifications required to connect the host-only network I chose to the wireless network I use routinely for this computer.

This is very tedious, given the time I spent so far and the careful package selection I made.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to handle this situation? I’m loathe to try all over again and just end up in the same state. Does anyone know what will happen if I pull the plug on this VM now that it’s mostly but not entirely installed and configured and then reboot it again? I’ll do that as a last resort, of course, but I’d like to know I’ve tried everything I can to remedy or salvage this situation first.

Thanks.

Randall Schulz

2. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Randy,
    I have to tell yo that I gave up on 10.1, I couldn;t get past an agp device issue with the bus address being out of range. Just for giggles I went and installed 10.0. Very cool, I'm in business and it installed perfectly.
    I really like SUSE Linux, I used to be an Ubunto fan but SUSE's interface if great nd it comes with a ton of applications.
    At any rate, if you still have roblems try 10.0, it worked perfectly for me...

HTH,
    Peter

3. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

I can't tell what's the matter with suse 10.1 in parallels Desktop RC1. I set up my suse 10.1 system in beta 6 and all went fine (using the cd iso files). I also got the hardware setup screen. No problem there at all. I even was able to set my native resolution at 1440x900 without doing some tricks as necessary for version 10.0. After RC was released I did an update using the parallels installer and still have absolutely no problem using suse 10.1

I deleted the cd iso files in advance of the dvd iso. I need to download the cd iso files again as the dvd iso is apparently damaged for some reason. I will try again to setup suse from scratch in RC1 in order to pinpoint the problem (hopefully).

4. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Jan,
    Would you mind telling me what you had to do to get a resoltuion larger than 1024x768 in 10.0?
    I acn't seem to get 1280x800 working at all, which is the resolution I really want.
    You guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Peter

5. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

I found this in another thread around here but can't find it anymore: This is what the poster actually wrote (i copied the line then):

//
    1440x900 (+fullscreen) under SuSE
    Finally got it to work.

Key was to change /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Changed vga= setting to vga=0x362.

Turns out you can get all of the valid settings in linux with the command:

hwinfo --framebuffer
    //

This is what I made of it assuming you're using KDE Desktop

Go to:
    --> YAST
    --> System
    --> Boatloader (edit it)
    --> enter the value 0x362 where it says VGA Mode (I'm not quite sure how it will look like in english. I have a german suse here.)
    --> save and try a reboot. I instantly got full screen after reboot.

In case this does not work try:

--> YAST
    --> System
    --> etc/config-file (edit it)
    --> Hardware
    --> Graphikcard
    --> Video-Bios-Parameter
    --> enter the value 0x362
    --> save and try an reboot. Hoepfully you will now have full screen after reboot.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  6. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Back again. I downloaded the cd iso files this night and did a suse install in RC 1 from scratch. And I have to tell you I had not a single problem. All went smooth and fine.

Here is what I did:

* created a new vm with linux and suse
    * entered the config screen via edit
    * removed the floppy driver (don't need it)
    * set RAM to 512 MB
    * Set Network to Host only and activated internet sharing with parallels network adapter (en2) as I'm using Airport and bridget networking is known to not work in this (linux) situation
    * everything else is a standard linux setup, no adjustments at all.
    * boot the vm, link in the first cd iso
    * hit enter and type linux in boot screen
    * followed the screen messages and choose to use a KDE Desktop

If you need to install additional packages try doing this later after you finally got suse 10.1 up and running via YAST.

The only reason for your trouble I can think of is not sufficient RAM (256 perhaps?).

I've attached four screenshots:
    1 - hardware setup screen first prompt
    2 - hardware setup - my monitor and screen resolution setup
    3 - success screen
    4 - KDE Desktop full resolution

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  7. RandyS

RandyS Member

What I did that led to the hang was very close to that:

• I used 768 MB of RAM
    • I did not remove the diskette from the VM configuration
    • I did choose extra packages (numerous ones, in fact)

My networking setup was host-only, but I did not first kill prl_dhcpd nor turn on sharing.

I guess I’ll do it again.

Right now, it boots up fine and I can log in and things mostly work, except there is no networking. What's stranger, is that I can use YaST's Network Devices / Network Card setup to configure the card (a Realtek RTL 8029 (AS)) but while this appears to succeed, the device doesn’t show up anywhere else. Network Manager thinks no network hardware is configured and “ifconfig” or even “ifconfig -a” do not show it.

My commercial package shipped from Novell’s fullfilment firm yesterday. I think I’ll wait for it to arrive and use the media it contains (the DVD, I hope) for my next try at installing SuSE 10.1.

Randall Schulz

8. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Concerning Network (and wireless airport internet access):

First: enable Host-only Networking in Parallels (you already did that)
    Second: Go to: System Prefs --> Sharing --> Internet
    Enable Internet Sharing over airport for (usually) en2 port.

This will route your ip traffic rom VM through Sharing over airport.

9. RandyS

RandyS Member

I did those things. But did you not also tell us to kill the prl_dhcpd process?

Unfortunately, at the moment I'm at work, where only authorized systems can access the internal network and cannot test fully until this evening. Even so, I should think the Network Manager and / or ifconfig could see hardware that was configured in YaST. But still it isn't so, and I tried again, this time leaving prl_dhcpd running.

RRS

10. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

There is no need for this command anymore. It should work the way described above. No need for special configuration in suse. The network adapter is setup for dhcp by (installation) default. If you can't access the internet check for a active firewall.

11. RandyS

RandyS Member

I'm telling you, there is no sign of the (virtual) Ethernet adaptor outside of YaST's Network Card module. That module appears to configure the network adaptor successfully, but there remains no sign of it elsewhere.

Firewalls have nothing to do with it.

RRS

12. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Jan,
    Thanks for your help. Editting the boot loader worked just fine. All I did was select the reolution I wanted at 16bit depth and the system worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help,
    Peter

13. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Randy,
    My system is netrworking just fie BUT I had to stop using DHCP and enable a static IP address. I'm using bridged networking over the airport just fine. I set my SUSE system up to use a 192.168.1.x IP address and set my gateway to its address and everything is working just fine. Combined with Jan's suggestion of editting the boot loader I'm able to get any screen resolution I want, from full screen to 1024x768.

HTH,
    Peter