More than 4 CPU/8GB in Standard Version

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by Nemensi, Apr 22, 2017.

1. JishanA

JishanA

knowledgeable article I really appreciate this

2. David MC

David MC Bit Poster

is someone going to respond to my question?

3. MohdW

MohdW

It was really helpful thank you!

4. Greenwood Digital

Greenwood Digital Bit Poster

You NEVER want to allocate all of the physical cores to a VM.
    The way VMs provide work to the CPU depends on how many cores are allocate to it and how many cores are available on the host CPU. The VM cannot break apart the cores into smaller chunks and allocate those smaller chunks to the physical CPU.
    What does this mean?
    It means that all cores on the host CPU must be free before the guest VM can use the CPU. This creates a situation known as CPU wait time. It will drastically slow down the guest VM because it's constantly waiting for the host CPU to have all cores free. Parallels is doing you a favor by leaving 2 cores on the host machine free because 8 cores will become available a lot more than all 10.
    I hope this explanation about virtualization helps.

5. JonathanA9

JonathanA9 Bit Poster

I agree. I will not buy parallels until the perpetual license version is available with 8 CPU cores and 16GB RAM.

6. JonathanA9

JonathanA9 Bit Poster

I would even pay a little more to get a perpetual license with more allocatable CPU cores and RAM.

7. DebasmitaM@Parallels

DebasmitaM@Parallels Staff Member

Hello, perpetual license is only available in Standard Edition of Parallels Desktop. If you need more than 8GB vRAM you need to purchase Parallels Desktop Pro Edition subscription.

8. JonathanA9

JonathanA9 Bit Poster

Subscriptions are stupid and I will never buy one. I need a perpetual license where I pay once and it doesn't expire. The perpetual license needs more cores and more RAM. Computing needs have evolved greatly since the highly-limited perpetual version was released with 4 cores and 8GB RAM.

The perpetual version needs 8 cores and 16GB RAM or you will not get a cent from me.

9. JonathanA9

JonathanA9 Bit Poster

Entry level macs have gotten way more cores than when the 4 core/8GB RAM limit was set for the parallels perpetual license. The perpetual license now needs to be set to 8 cores/16 GB RAM. Otherwise, Crossover (by CodeWeavers) is a far better solution for the price than parallels.

10. JonathanA9

JonathanA9 Bit Poster

Exactly. Everyone feels this way. You are not alone. Parallels needs to rid the standard version of these arbitrary RAM/CPU limits, or I will use CrossOver instead (and give Parallels none of my $$$).

BernardH likes this.
  11. hux

hux Bit Poster

I think there might be a need to reprice the Apple chip machines, after all, they don't have that many CPU cores unless you go with the m1u

12. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

We're at the point that VMs really do need access to more than 8 Gb by default.