Mountain Lion as a guest on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion built in

mgol

Bit poster
Is there any option to create a ML VM in Parallels 7 on my mid-2012 non-retina MacBook Pro that had ML pre-installed? I can't use the dmg file from the installer as I didn't buy ML on Mac App Store. I also don't seem to have a recovery partition (unless I'm looking in the wrong place) as I have Internet Recovery. Parallels doesn't seem to offer any option of installing OSX.

Is there really no way?
 
Last edited:
You can run diskutil from a terminal window to see if you have a recovery partition. I suspect you do unless you did something dramatic. The "Disk Utility" tool doesn't show the recovery partition.

Here's what my system looks like:

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 499.4 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *499.1 GB disk1
 
You can run diskutil from a terminal window to see if you have a recovery partition. I suspect you do unless you did something dramatic. The "Disk Utility" tool doesn't show the recovery partition.

Here's what my system looks like:

Code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         499.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           *499.1 GB   disk1
Here's mine. I didn't remove any weird partitions myself but it looks different.

My flatmate has a late-2011 MB Pro and he said when he boots with an Option key pressed down he sees the third (besides OS X and Bootcamp Windows) recovery option, I do not.

Code:
$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         214.3 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows7                40.9 GB    disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data                         53.8 GB    disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS OptiBay                 445.9 GB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:                  Apple_HFS OSX                    *214.0 GB   disk2

P.S. Please use code tags, it makes for a better readability.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top