Mouse and keyboard don't work in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by premonition, Sep 26, 2007.

1. premonition

premonition Bit poster

Thread was moved from here.
    Stacey M

Hello Guys,

Can anybody help me? Parallel 3.0 does not capture my mouse and keyboard. When i point on the guest OS and click or double click or even right click, my mouse pointer got lost. I can't even install parallel tools 'coz it does not recognize my mouse and keyboard and i can't click the next button.

When i use the internal Keyboard/trackpad still it does not capture my input.

Some if not all in the send keys does not work...

It would be better if in the send keys there will also and enter..

Parallel Masters please help me

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

I want you to answer some questions.
    1. What type of Mac are you using?
    2. Have you installed Windows in Parallels?
    3. Did you make any changes in 'Devices' menu?
    4. Did you try to use Ctrl+Alt?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. premonition

premonition Bit poster

Hi thanks for responding in my mail. My response in Orange

I want you to answer some questions.

1. What type of Mac are you using?
    I am using a macbook pro
    2. Have you installed Windows in Parallels?
    Yes i installed Windows Xp
    3. Did you make any changes in 'Devices' menu?
    i did not make any changes
    4. Did you try to use Ctrl+Alt?
    I tried to use it but nothing happens, cursor will show but once i press any button or even my keyboard the pointer will hide and will not recognize any key that i type

Another question regarding the arrangement tab in the display of system preferences will it only show when i connect my laptop in a projector or multiple display, i mean will it also show if i do not connect my machine to such devices?

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards,

4. premonition

premonition Bit poster

ADDENDUM to my REPLY

Since my mouse and keyboard does not work at this moment. i can't install the parallel tools since you have to click the next to proceed with the installation, but how can i click if my mouse and keyboard does not work. Thanks!

5. premonition

premonition Bit poster

I already tried to install another guest os and still my mouse and keyboard is not working.

Can anyone tell me what is hapenning and how to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

check your PM please.

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. premonition

premonition Bit poster

Stacey is the Best

Too quick in giving solution. KUDOS to Stacey!

8. jeffksvc

jeffksvc Bit poster

Please PM Stacy on the fix

My keyboard and mouse do not work either, same config as the other guy.

9. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

jeffksvc, check your PM please.

Best regards,
    Stacey

10. warrior

warrior Bit poster

I have the same problem with a Windows Vista installation, booted from the Boot Camp. Please help is needed! Thanks,
    Miguel

11. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please check your PM.

Best regards,
    Stacey

12. louise

louise Bit poster

same problem as user premonition

Hi,

I have the following install that has been fine untill yesterday when i started having issues will apps crashing before the system crashed. I noticed that back in Mac OS 10.4.10, the apple menu displayed two options for restart, shutdown, sleep.

I have the following installation;
    iMac 2GHz Intel Core Duo with 4GB Ram
    Win XP SP2
    Mac OSX.4.10
    Parallels Build 3170

Your help would be appreciated

13. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello, louise,

could you please specify your problem? Your mouse and keyboard don't work in Parallels, am I right? And your system has crashed?

Best regards,
    Stacey

14. anzido

anzido Bit poster

Hi,

I'd like to know why some people obviously get solutions for their problems via PM?? I thought a forum is there to give other users the solutions, too.

15. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

anzido,

It's just sometimes we ask a customer for some sensitive personal information to troubleshoot the problem better (like email address, product activation key, etc), so getting it done over the public forums is not very appropriate and we stick to PM.
    On the other hand, we'll try to post more information in public treads in future to prevent such confusion.

16. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm having the same problems. I was running 2.x, upgraded on Friday to 3 and can't continue with the install (tools etc) because no input either through the mouse or keyboard is going through.

10.4.10, MacPro, NT SP2,

Hope this is all the info needed.

Thanks
    M

17. avlee

avlee Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I am having the same issue and really really would love your help. I have a mac book pro 2.0 ghz intel core duo with 1.5 GB of Ram. I also have win xp SP2, and mac OS 10.4.10and installed parallels but the keyboard and mouse won't work - can you please send me a personal message with a solution. Thank you so much!

18. louise

louise Bit poster

Hi Stacey,

This is correct, my mouse and keyboeard do not work in parallels. I haven't changed or updated anything lately inluding no changes to the Devices menu. i was running Explorer, Outlook and MSN in Win XP via parallels when I opened Safari in Mac OSX. The machine slowed down significantly and so I force Quit out of Safari before i flicked back to Parallels/XP and noticed that I lost input from my keyboard. My mouse also was unable to function in parallels/XP.

I went to restart my iMac and noticed that there were duplicates of the restart, logout, and shutdown options in the Apple menu. After a restart, logging in to OSX and launching parallels an XP, I am unable to Control Alt to log into WinXP.

hope you can help

19. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

if you are experiencing problems with keyboard and mouse like described in this thread, the reinstallation of Parallels Desktop may help you. But this solution can appear destructive for inexperienced users, so you should be careful while performing the following steps:
    1. Run Parallels Uninstaller.
    2. Do not reboot your Mac.
    3. Please copy somewhere the content of folder /Library/Parallels and also com.parallels.* files from folder /Library/Preferences/.
    4. Go to Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
    5. There you should run the following commands:
    sudo rm ~/Library/Parallels
    sudo rm /Library/Parallels
    sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*
    5. Reboot your Mac.
    6. Install Parallels Desktop one more time.

If the issue is solved after performing the steps above, we would be glad if you send us an archive with folders and files you copied during the step 3 to beta-testing@parallels.com. The message subject should include "[Preferences Archive] ***". It will help us to improve Parallels Desktop and prevent such problems in the future.

Sorry for inconvenience and thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,
    Stacey

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  20. gag-me

gag-me Bit poster

Thanks for posting instructions. What exactly do you mean in 3., this parallels folder is 8.31GB in size, how would I even send an archive of a file this big?
    M