Move only one Machine to External Drive?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by likegadgets, Apr 21, 2009.

1. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

I have two virtual machines on my main Mac HD (and both are clone to an external)

I want to move one of my VM machines to the external drive to free up space - this one is rarely used.

I see the file on finder, can I just move it?

I searched for moving to external drives, but the posts I found did not address what I need.

Thanks

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

Yes you may move your Virtual Machine on external hard drive
    1) Open Configuration page og your VM (Configure) -> Hard Disk 1 and check where the file is located
    2) copy the file to your external disk (after you remove the file from your Machintosh HD you wont be able to start your VM with errors hdd is not found)
    3) Open Configuration of VM once again (Configure-> Hard Disk 1) -> and browse to the file of VM on External drive after that you will be be to start your VM.

3. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

I followed the instructions above. It worked the first time. I have the copied .pvm file on my external drive.
    But now after restarting I get an error message: The Virtual Machine is not available. When I click locate point to its location on the external drive I get the same not available message. All I have is the one .pvm file on the external drive. How to restart that VM?

4. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

Galochka, Please help as I can no longer open the moved VM.

5. desgael

desgael Pro

Have you tried simply double-clicking on a .pvm file which is on external disk? This might restore necessary links by itself.

Make sure that the virtual machine is stopped (you can double-click on "shut down button, if it is not grayed out already") before applying this.

6. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

Absolutely. Double clicking on the PVM file immediately brings up the: "The Virtual Machine is not available" sequence