Moving A Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BernardHarte, Jun 19, 2007.

1. BernardHarte

BernardHarte Bit poster

I am the proud owner of a new MacBook Pro and one of the first things I did was to download the Parallels 3 evaluation.

The next thing I did was to 'suck' everything from my (company) Windows laptop with Transporter.

So far, so good and all is working fine. My problem is that I was logged-in to the wrong user account [I have one for work, one for personal] on my MBP when I did the import so I want to move the VM to the other user account.

I have tried copying ~/Documents/Parallels/<machinename> to the drop box of the other account; switching accounts; moving the folder into ~/Documents/Parallels/; changing ownership and permissions, but I still get an error when I start-up saying that the drive is corrupted.

I know that I could do the Transporter thing over again, but it took forever over my network and there has to be an easy way to move stuff. I hope... :)

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

In the Parallels vm directory there is a text file with a .pvs extension. It has path information in there that is now incorrect. Edit a copy of it with a true text editor and correct the broken path then try loading the vm.

3. BernardHarte

BernardHarte Bit poster

Thanks for a quick response.

Pretty straightforward when you know how!