Moving Windows 10 From PC

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JerryM2, Oct 25, 2016.

1. JerryM2

JerryM2 Bit poster

I have a 2011 Imac 27 inch running the latest OS. I have an ASUS laptop with some files and a legit copy of Windows 10 installed. No OS disks came with the PC but I have updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 through automatic update. I want to install Parallels onto my MAC, bring my files and OS from the laptop and start running everything on the MAC. How do I get Windows 10 onto the MAC without buying a new, in the box, Windows 10 to use for installation? Can Parallels import the files and the OS? If so, what is the process? I have searched for an answer to this question and have not been able to find one. I came close a couple times but the wording never gave me a complete picture of what the process is. If the answer is out there and I just haven't found it, I apologize for asking again. Please help!! I want to start using the MAC as a music system and need to bring Band In A Box and Sonar over to start using with Garaage Band and Reaper. I look forward to any help I can get for this situation. I sometimes have problems explaining what the problem is, so if I haven't provided enough information, please let me know. Many Thanks.....

Best Regards,
    Jerry M

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello JerryM2,
    Follow the steps below to migrate Windows from a PC to a Mac as virtual machine using an external drive.
    1. Make sure you have an external drive which has more space than the used space in Windows. Format that drive in exFAT file system, which is supported by both Mac and Windows.
    2. Follow the best practices and make sure there is no hidden partitions or disk errors.
    3. Follow the steps provided in this article for migrating Windows using external drive.
    If you face any issues, feel free to reach out.

3. Hey, we received your reply, and please just let us know if you will get any issue with migration. We always here to help! Get well soon!