MS Money Password Does Not Work in Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by nickm, Jan 5, 2007.

1. nickm

nickm Bit poster

Here's a wierd one...

I am running build 3094 beta 2.

I have successfully "ported" everything I need to function from my PC to the mac platform now, with the help of parallels, EXCEPT...

Microsoft Money, which I've used for the better part of a decade. It successfully installed from the original CD's in the Parallels environment. It opens fine. However, when I attempt to open my 30mb .mny file that I have copied from the PC to the Parallels desktop, my password does not work.

Believe me, I've copied the right file, I know what the password is, I got the caps- and num-lock things covered.

Even wierder, on the PC I tried removing the password protection altogether. The file opens fine on the PC with no password prompt. However, when copied to the Parallels desktop, Money prompts for a password.

It's running on a MacBook Pro so I tried connecting an external keyboard, just wondering whether the keyboard might be sending an unexpected string. I went through the same troubleshooting after having loaded everything on our MacPro, just to see whether it might have been a quirk of the MacBook Pro. Nothing works.

I've experienced no other anomilies and am a PC poweruser.

Any hunches?

2. sue_ley

sue_ley Bit poster

I was wondering if you ever resolved the problem because I am experiencing the same thing - even tried removing password protection like you. I have also updated Money but still cannot open my file.

3. sfurgy

sfurgy Bit poster

I had the exact same errors - here's what I did to fix it!

I had the same errors, essentially MS Money 2007 was telling me that my password was invalid. It didn't matter if I was using a new file or an existing one or even if I created a new file and said that I didn't want to use a password.

Then I realized there was a larger problem and the messages were just a symptom. I started digging and realized that the Windows install that I has setup under Parallels had an invalid temporary files directory set (pointing to a directory that did not exist). I set that to a valid directory and everything worked just fine.

In case you are not familar with setting environment variables in Windows XP here's some quick tips.

Start Menu->Control Panel->System (you'll need to be in Classic View to see this here, or it's under Performance & Maintenance in the Category View)

On the Advanced Tab - click the Environment Variables button at the bottom of the dialog box. In my case, I had both user variables and system variables that were incorrect. I'm not sure which one MS Money is picking up, so I updated both of them. If you don't have temp entries, hit the new button and create a variable called TEMP and point it to a valid directory (e.g. C:\TEMP).

I hope this helps. I found a number of references on the internet to people having the same problem but no solutions. I was just lucky to find this one myself.

Good luck!