MS Office

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by kmc2227, May 2, 2014.

1. kmc2227

kmc2227 Bit poster

If I install office on the mac side, will I be able to use it from the windows side?

The reason I ask is that I have a windows program that opens file up in word and didn't know if I needed to install both mac & PC versions of office.

2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi kmc2227,

To use Microsoft Office on Windows Virtual Machine, we recommend you to install MS Office for Windows.

Installation of MS Office on Mac will not support for the documents inside Windows Virtual Machine.

Thanks.

3. kmc2227

kmc2227 Bit poster

So by installing office on the windows side it can be shared with the mac side?

4. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Kmc2227,

Office For Mac is different and Office for Windows is different.

If you would like to have Office on both Mac and Windows you need to install Office for Mac on your Mac side and Office for Windows on your Windows Virtual Machine.

You will be able to share the files between Mac and Windows Virtual Machine but the applications you need to install it separately based on which you would like to use.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

To avoid any confusion:

* Office for Mac will be able to open and edit documents made in Office for Windows.
    * You can install Office on both the VM and host but I would argue that is redundant since whichever you will use is able to open and edit the same files.
    * Depending on the license you bought you may or may not be allowed to install a second copy of Office.