MS RDC works perfectly - so cool

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tc60045, May 7, 2006.

1. tc60045

tc60045 Junior Member

I use MS Remote Desktop on all my PCs -- and now the PC within my iMac.

I'm able to connect remotely to Parallels from other PCs. Great job, guys!

2. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Hi:

Not only RDC but also VNC!
    MV

3. tc60045

tc60045 Junior Member

I spoke too soon.... this could be rare, but not in my house/family.

1. Wife is using imac, using Parallels to run windows
    2. Has problem with some windows program
    3. I connect to virtual machine via RDC -- great!
    4. She sees the PC go to log-in screen (as designed)
    5. I close the session -- now she gets a black screen when she tries to log back in to parallels. Only solution is for me to log back in and restart the virtual machine.

Put this in the big list of minor annoyances to prioritize and address? Thx,

TC

4. pogi

pogi Member

You might want to try downloading "rdesktop" and compiling it yourself.. it runs a lot better than the osx version of remote desktop because it runs in rosetta because its not a universal binary...

5. tc60045

tc60045 Junior Member

Pogi, thanks, and I may not have been clear enough above -- the issue I've described is a PC only issue: the "server" PC is a Parallels instance, and the remote "client" is a Windows PC.

Parallels just doesn't wake up properly when the remote client has disconnected and the physical user tries to log in to the VM instance. She sees just a black screen and has to do a hard re-boot of the VM.

6. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Gots hints or instructions somewhere on how to properly does this ?
    Doens't this rely on XWindow server installed?
    Does it look good (in addition to work good)?

7. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Remote Desktop is built in standard on XP Pro. You just need to enable it on your My Computer -> Properties. It works great for productivity type apps. Screen looks exactly the same.

8. tc60045

tc60045 Junior Member

I love it b/c damn near everything works and looks exactly the same. Based on Citrix code, this is one thing MS did "right" in XP Pro.

9. kevco

kevco Junior Member

I think, based on the words he quoted, he was asking how to download and compile rdesktop, not how to enable remote desktop.

I've always felt the Microsoft one worked just fine personally. Even with rosetta, I don't notice any issues and I use pretty regularly.

10. jmaynard

jmaynard Member

I installed rdesktop because the Microsoft program will only allow one connection at a time, and I sometimes need more.

11. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

Check out RDC menu, available through versiotracker of course. It adds a menu extra that allows launching as many instances of Microsoft's RDC as you wish. I use it regularly for work. Being able to Apple-Tab between several Windows PCs and my normal Mac apps is great.

12. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Just duplicate the program 2 or 3 times (under different names or in different directories) and you can then start multiple connections at the same time.