MS SQL on windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlejandroM7, Aug 10, 2022.

1. AlejandroM7

AlejandroM7 Bit poster

I successfully installed IIS and a Net App that is running fine, but I need to install MS SQL Engine. I installed SSMS and that worked fine, so it is just the MS SQL Engine that is missing. But if I download the latest MS SQL version and try to install it I get an error. I tried all versions, Developer, Express, etc. and no luck.
    Does anyone know how to install MS SQL on Paralells and Win 11?

2. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @AlejandroM7, Kindly let us know the below details to assist you further.
    1. What version of MS SQL are you trying to install?
    2. What is the processor of your host Mac machine? (Intel / M series 'M1' 'M2')
    3. Please share the screenshot of the error message here with us.

3. DanielD24

DanielD24 Bit poster

Make your life easy. Install Docker on your Mac and use Azure SQL Edge in a container. It's a parsed down MS SQL engine.

Map container port 1433 to 1433 local and it should be accessible to the VM.

4. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

5. DannyE3

DannyE3 Bit poster

im new to SQL and Mac OS , im trying to follow up on your github post but im unsure at the moment on how to still do it. i am dumb

6. AlejandroM7

AlejandroM7 Bit poster

I used the script and it worked!! Thank you so much for providing us with a solution. I installed it on an M1 with windows 11. I installed SQL 2022 Express

7. AzinS

AzinS Member

just for clarification, the github page script installs SQL Express not the Azure SQL Edge?

8. AzinS

AzinS Member

this is huge. Just installed it and works. Why Microsoft officially says they don't support SQL Server on ARM based?!