Multi Monitor setup with four extra monitors...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ErikT2, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

Is there a way to use Parallels 11 with Windows 10 and have the VM use just the external monitors but have my Mac have it's dedicated screen still display?

I have all four monitors working - five if you count the laptop display too. I just don't like switching virtual desktops on my mac to have parallels freak out and take 20 seconds to disconnect each monitor individually and then wait another 20 seconds to load each monitor again... if I could keep it stationary on just the four external monitors, but keep the laptop just OS X - I think I'd be a happy camper... anyone know of a way to do this?

2. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

Thanks for that link. I've read it over a couple times now, but fail to see how to get a VM to use more than one but not all monitors. Coherence mode doesn't give me easy access to desktop items within windows since it has a redirected desktop/documents/music/pictures/etc via a group policy in AD. So I need to see my desktop all the time but want more than one monitor but not all monitors... does that make sense? Honestly I only want my VM to be on two of my five monitors... is that possible? Fullscreen, two monitors, non-coherence mode.

3. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hey EricT2, Parallels Desktop 11 Update (11.2.0 (32581) ) is released. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. You can get the latest build here. Once Parallels Desktop has been installed, install Parallels Tools and check how it goes.

4. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

Thanks - I downloaded that yesterday... I still don't see a way to get multi monitor use for two monitors, but not all five monitors. How can I achieve that?

5. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

Hello?

6. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hello ErikT2, Try the steps below:
    1. Connect the external monitor to Mac
    2. Start Virtual Machine.
    3. Click Actions > Configure > Options > Fullscreen. In the "View" menu from Parallels Desktop check the "Use All Displays in Full Screen" option.
    4. Switch the virtual machine into Fullscreen view mode.
    5. Go to Start > Control Panel.
    6. Go to Display Settings > Adjust Resolution (on the left pane).
    7. Click the additional monitors one-by-one, and in the drop-down menu in the center of the window, select "Extend Windows desktop to this display" for each of the monitors.
    8. Click Apply.
    Restart Windows Virtual Machine and observe Windows in Multiple monitors.