My headset microphone is extremely quiet only on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by farukhc, Apr 1, 2020.

1. farukhc

farukhc Bit poster

I have a Logitech G231 Prodigy headset and while the headphones work properly, the microphone does not

Other people can't hear me, and if i record myself talking normally (either with Audacity or the Windows default voice recorder) i can only BARELY hear anything if i put the volume all the way to the max (to the point that if i played music with that volume i would probably hear it from the other room) but i tried connecting the headset to my Galaxy S8 and there it works, it's still a bit on the quiet side, but definitely audible and fixable by boosting it just a little

I tried connecting this same headset to another Windows 10 computer that i have and the result is the same as my computer, but unfortunately i don't have any non-Windows 10 PC to confirm with 100% certainty if it's a Windows 10 problem

I tried reinstalling my audio drivers but that didn't work, i made sure that my mic volume is set to the max in the Windows settings and i even tried boosting it, but it only becomes audible at +30dB (the max) and it adds A LOT of noise so it's not a viable solution

My audio card is the integrated MSI B250M Mortar Motherboard one (i think the name of the card is Realtek ALC892) if that matters

My guess is that the problem is either a software problem or the Y splitter that i use to connect the headset to PCs, since i don't have to use that with my phone and it works there, but i'm not sure which one is it nor how to fix it

AlbertoM6 likes this.
  2. MarkW34

MarkW34 Bit poster

I'm getting exactly the same issue as above. Very low microphone in guest OS. Even when plugging in a usb mic direct into VM. My USB Mic works fine on another PC.

3. Hello guys,
    please accept our apologize for the delay in response.
    Please provide us with more details about the issue:
    1. Your Parallels Desktop/macOS/Guest OS versions
    2. Did you get any issues with any other USB devices (or just with your mic?)
    3. Did you check the same issue on your Mac side?
    4. What is your mic model?

4. ashmser

ashmser Bit poster

Hi! Did you find a solution? I have the same issue. 15" MacBook Pro 2017, latest Parallels 16.1.3 (also tried AppStore version), clean install Windows 10 20H2v2. Microphones are very quiet, not possible to use them in conferencing. Tried build-in MacBook microphone, bluetooth speaker microphone and microphone on external monitor attached via Thunderbolt3. All of them work fine in host MacOS, but unusable in Windows under Parallels (((
    A saw that a number of people on the Internet complain on the same issue, but Parallels team never proposed any solution. Also noticed that many links to help/support pages in Parallels application actually lead to 404. Does not seem like a quality product (

AlbertoM6 likes this.
  5. Hi, unfortunately we didn't het any response..
    Could you provide us with the details above and also with the tech report please?