MySQL Connector / ODBC for Win 11 ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by PeterM53, Feb 22, 2022.

1. PeterM53

PeterM53 Bit poster

Title says it all. Can't figure out how to get this to install on Win 11 image without error, just looking for the MySQL ODBC drivers to install.

StevenK3 likes this.
  2. TheSaiyanOfLegend

TheSaiyanOfLegend Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hey guys, I figured this out. Everyone who wants MySQL to work on Windows 11 in parallels, you have to think out the box. Jk. I stumbled across this fix by using PowerBI which requires you to use the .Net MySQL drivers... well guess what... those same .Net drivers work in Excel allowing you to use the Get Data > From Database > From MySQL Database in excel.... here's the link that will solve all your problems :D Be sure to restart your PC when done installing.

MySQL :: Download Connector/NET <-- Be sure to select Windows and you'll see mysql-connector-net-8.0.32.msi.

Yes, it says 32bit... and Yes, it works fantastic on my M2 Macbook pro... proof? Look at this.

View attachment 20662

View attachment 20664

CordellJ likes this.
  3. Amanda1

Amanda1 Bit poster

i'm going through the same problem, someone got some solution for odbc mysql arm on mac m1?

4. StevenK3

StevenK3 Bit poster

Ditto It would be nice..

5. Amanda1

Amanda1 Bit poster

6. StevenK3

StevenK3 Bit poster

Amanda1 - You are amazing! Thanks so much bam we are working!

Amanda1 likes this.
  7. AlejandroC13

AlejandroC13 Bit poster

Hi,

This is not working for me.
    I download and install https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170.
    Then I download and install https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

When I install odbc mysql-connector-odbc-8.0.29-winx64 I get an error 1928

Any sugguestions?

Working on Windows11
    M1 chip

8. JohannesS8

JohannesS8 Bit poster

9. RandallQ

RandallQ Bit poster

I installed the 32-bit connector as per Amanda1. It did work and I was able to create a 32-bit DSN. However, Excel DSN connector wouldn't work due to a 64-bit / 32-bit mismatch.
    After some more trial and error, I got the 64-bit driver working, but didn't know what exactly worked. ODBC Data Source Administrator was showing a 32/64-bit driver.
    What worked for me after starting from scratch was installing:
    • Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.32.31332
    • mysql-connector-odbc-8.0.30-winx64.msi (when errors pop up, click the ignore button and complete the install)
    I have pulled data from my website's MySQL server using an Excel power query ODBC DSN connection.

Attached Files:

10. WilliamE7

WilliamE7 Bit poster

same here

11. ChristopherM22

ChristopherM22 Bit poster

Hi there all. This problem is really pissing me off. No amount of trying to install the X64 version fails every time with error 1928. I can install the 32bit version and get it to show in the ODBC data sources using %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\odbcad32.exe but it will not actually connect to the database i'm trying to access through visual studio. I can see that RandallQ has it installed as an ODBC data source but is this running under arm or intel. I can get the intel version working easily on parallels but no luck with the M1.

JayS12 likes this.
  12. JayS12

JayS12 Bit poster

a few weeks ago I posted the correct steps on how to fix the issues even if you installed already some drivers, unfortunately not sure why, my post has not been posted in the forum

13. RandallQ

RandallQ Bit poster

I'm running on a Mac Studio M1 Max.

14. AlejandroC13

AlejandroC13 Bit poster

Here, I have tried everything. Any idea? I am running M1

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
  15. MihailM1

MihailM1 Bit poster

I have same problem, Error 193. Any detailed instructions on how to overcome this, please?

16. RichardH43

RichardH43 Bit poster

I too have the same problem. Error 193 happens on the installation of the MySQL x64 ODBC Driver installation (ignored) and also when attempting to add the driver with the 64 bit ODBC Administrator. I Searched for what the Error 193 means which indicates a mismatch between 32bit and 64bit. I have the 64bit C++ Redistributable installed. The driver does not show up in the Add list of drivers using the 32bit ODBC Administrator. Another suggestion I read was to run the msi installer as administrator. Done that, didn't work. Nothing I have tried will work to get a 64bit ODBC driver working. I have successfully installed a 32bit driver but that does not work for PowerBI which requires a 64bit driver. I even got a trial version of a commercial ODBC driver that claimed it would work but still get this error and no successful 64bit ODBC driver.

What does one have to do to get a 64bit ODBC driver installed under Parallels?

17. DamaniB

DamaniB Bit poster

Guys... I got this working on my M1 Max Macbook Pro running the latest Ventura 13 and latest Parallels version.

1. Download the x86 Visual C++ https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170
    2. Download Windows (x86, 64-bit), MSI Installer drivers https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/
    It'll install without error 193. You won't get any errors at all. From there just open up ODBC and setup your connection as you typically would.

Cheers.

18. RichardH43

RichardH43 Bit poster

I had both x86 and x64 latest vcr installed. When installing the (x86, 64-bit) MySQL ODBC connector, I get the 193 error twice, pressed ignore twice but it did continue to finish. When installing the driver with ODBC Admin got the error 193, no driver available for a DSN. I removed the x64 vcr and tried again. Got an error that vcr x64 is required, driver not installed. Installed x64 vcr and removed vcr x86. Again, when installing the latest version of MySQL ODBC driver, got the 193 error twice on install but ignore allowed it to continue. Tried to install the driver with ODBC 64 Admin but got the error 193. Still no success with 64 bit driver. I have yet to install Ventura. I will try that next.

19. RichardH43

RichardH43 Bit poster

Updated to Ventura 13.0.1 and tried again. Still the same. No joy.

20. JohanB5

JohanB5 Bit poster

I've same problem. Error 193.

21. MihailM1

MihailM1 Bit poster

There is no way you were able to install 64-bit MySQL Connector with x86 Visual C++ Redist...