NAT Port Forwarding

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kkerbel, Oct 26, 2007.

1. kkerbel

kkerbel Bit poster

Hello All,

I am in an environment that does NOT allow bridged mode networking. I must use NAT or some other method to connect to the network from my XP box running in Parallels on OS X. I have services running in XP that need to be accessed from the network. I assume some type of port forwarding needs to be done. As an example, say I had an ftp server running on the xp vm and I needed to connect to that from the network...how would I do that? Please give specific instructions if possible...I'm beating my head on the wall already. lol.

Thanks!
    Kit

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried Google.com?

Hint: natd
    Hint 2: ipfw

3. kkerbel

kkerbel Bit poster

I have tried google and can't seem to figure it out. I have tried using ipfw but can't seem to get that working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kit

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What commands have you tried?

Here is the principle, you need to get the port of FTP, or whatever you are trying to run, with a command via ipfw to FORWARD to the VM's appropriate IP.

The syntax is spelled out, step by step, on Google, I know it, that's where I looked when I needed to do my first ipfw commands, oh yes, the man pages as well.

You will need to forward to the correct IP, though. There are two internal IPs, take a guess at how to determine which one is the VM's...

Forums are here to help you help yourself. I, and many others, get paid money to give step-by-step solutions, so be prepared to help yourself. I'm all for helping others help themselves. If it seems like painful consulting, look at it this way, it's free, and you will be better equipped next time you have an issue.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  5. kkerbel

kkerbel Bit poster

Thanks. Do you know of any tools that I could use to monitor the traffic and the path it is taking? I'll search google, of course. ;)

I guess part of my question is can I do this with Shared networking in place or will I have to do something like Host Only w/ICS turned on in OS X. The googling continues...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  6. kkerbel

kkerbel Bit poster

7. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Unfortunately our current implementation of the NAT daemon used for Shared Networking doesn't support port forwarding. This feature is on our development list and will be added to the future updates, but for now there is no known way to forward ports to a VM.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven