Need Bootcamp installed (vice Parallels 5) to run Home Design Software.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rodger, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rodger

rodger Bit poster

Home Design Chief Architect Software folks say their program (9.0 Suite) will run with Bootcamp on a Mac Snow Leopard OS.

I have Parallels 5 installed and when I try to load program from DVD, it cannot see the D: drive and thus will not load.
    (Some other error messages also???) (And I got check sum errors when tried to down load program.)

So I should install Bootcamp? How?
    Will I need to install Windows again in Bootcamp or can I use the Windows XP program I am using in Parallels now?
    (I have a very old version of Windows and it took all day <literally> to update it, when I installed Parallels.)

I am using Home Design Chief Architect Software 7.0 now with Parallels 5, and it works fine. (However there are better/newer stuff in 9.0 that I would like. Mainly it will convert my design to a CAD format.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Does your D drive work with other DVDs in Parallels Desktop?

To use Boot Camp you'll need to reinstall Windows. If you want to install Windows using Boot Camp then follow the instructions in the Boot Camp Assistant which is in the Utilities folder. You'll need at least Windows XP SP 2.

3. rodger

rodger Bit poster

Installing Bootcamp to run Home Design Software (v 9 suite)

How do I tell / find out if the D-drive works with other programs?
    The D-drive does not appear in My computer?

Sounds like I have to do the Bootcamp under OS and then install my old Windows XP and then update it to SP2 and all.
    It will show a lot of updates to be done. Before I did every one to get a fully workable good Windows Program.

Other stuff I read seem to indicate I can skip ahead to the SP2 update and just do that one? True???

Rodger

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

In your first post, you said "it cannot see the D drive". Please explain what "it" is, and what you mean by "D: drive". Is your D: drive in the virtual machine connected to your Mac's DVD drive? Go to Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> CD/DVD 1 and select Default CD/DVD as the Source and select the Connected option.

Can you insert a different CD or DVD (such as a Windows Installer disk or any other PC software CD) and see it in the virtual machine?

If there's a problem with the DVD then you could try to use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the DVD and use that for the CD/DVD source.

I think you need a Windows XP SP 2 disk in order to install using Boot Camp. I don't know if an older Windows XP will work.

5. ErikaL

ErikaL Bit poster

Using Home Design on Mac

Hi Roger, I would like to know how Home Design on your Mac is working for you?
    Is it hard to install? I just bought a new mac and have purchased Home design, but haven't installed anything yet. Do you have recommendations? Do I need Boot Camp first, then Parallels, which versions?

6. rodger

rodger Bit poster

Home Design on a Mac

Home Design is a great program and works well. It is a Windows Program so a Mac needs to have Windows capability.
    Bootcamp is one way which basically partitions the computer to either be in Windows mode or not.
    Parallels is neat because one can work on a Windows program, and switch directly to a Mac/Snow Leopard program without rebooting the the computer.
    However there is some simple little glitch in the loading of Home Design into Parallels 5, and it does not see the drive or something.
    I was trying to figure it out, but got involved in other stuff. I think there is another Parallels out also? Maybe it would load HD?
    It would seem to me that once the problem was called to the attention of Parallels and/or Home Design, they would jump on it and fix it! I definitely think Mac is the way to go - no spam, no viruses, etc.

I think you can track my thread about this? If not I will cut and paste it all back to you.
    Good luck fixing the problem. Please send me your course of action, and how you fixed / solved the problem.
    Thanks