Need help. Does the newer Parallels label usb external hd better on devices menu?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tkjazzer, Jan 26, 2008.

1. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

So I have an older version of parallels

Version Build 3214

I have 2 external HDs that I use a lot in my macbook pro.

So, I eject one to put it on to parallels.

I go to the devices menu, and if both harddrives are plugged in to both usb ports, there are 2 options under USB for external HD.

This is so annoying because it always a crab shoot on the order they are listed in and there is no way to differentiate which is which!

So, I'm frustrated to all stink.

Can I upgrade without paying again?

DOES THE NEW version make this frustration go away by better labeling the external harddrives in the USB menu when multiple are plugged in?

Please, I'm so frustrated I need to go do push ups to cool off because it keeps screwing up files in my HD when I improperly eject.

(if you don't believe me, try to use NTFS hard drives with macfuse... you know how you never used to care about improperly ejected HDs or usb flash drives? well, they suddenly mess up if you do it with NTFS on a mac...)

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I suppose that the sutiation with the devices managing is the same but it is still better to update. You can download the latest build for you PD version here.

And could you please, specify the types of your external HDs?

3. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

2 usb western digital passport HDs.

One is Fat 32
    One is NTFS

I freaking messed up my NTFS because when I tried to select the FAT32 which I properly ejected from OSX.4, I accidently selected the still connected NTFS to OSX - this improper ejection has left my NTFS-3g/MacFuse system nonfunctional and now I have to figure out what I have to do to get it to work again - may have to format.

It'd be great if when you have 2 hard drives plugged in to the only 2 usb ports on a macbook pro if parrels said more in the devices menu than, external Hd, external HD... how can you tell which is which? At least add a usb port number labeling system so I know that I'm not ejected the wrong one.

My hard drives are also "named" different things, so you could incorporate that as well.

Thanks for your help - great program... still a lot of room for improvement.

4. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

also, I was unable to connect to the link above.

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

the point is that Parallels sees devices by their model name so it can't differentiate them if they are the same.
    But you can also make your external HDs shared folders and use them in your VM while they are still connected to the Mac. For more information, please, see page 207 of the User Guide.

As for the link, unfortunately, we are experiencing some slight technical problems so that there can be some troubles with downloads. Please, try again.

6. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

they are different sizes even though they are by the same company and both WD Passports. Does that matter?

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I suppose it doesn't matter at the moment. Unfortunately, it is the way Parallels sees them. But we are trying to make this working better. I'm sorry for the inconveniences.