Need Help With UBUNTU 20.04 M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DanielP33, Feb 1, 2024.

1. DanielP33

DanielP33 Bit poster

Hello I have been trying to create a virtual machine for ubuntu 20.04 specifically so i can use ROS. I have downloaded the ARM Based ISOs however get the message :
    The specified image cannot be used because your Mac is equipped with the Apple M series chip that doesn't support Intel-based operating systems.
    I have tried creating a blank without a source and using the files on the CD/DVD section and resetting however that doesnt work either. Has anyone managed to create a ubuntu 20.04 on the M1 Mac.
    Thanks in advance!

DoW likes this.
  2. Nischay Gaya

Nischay Gaya Staff Member

Hello @DanielP33,
    Thank you for reaching out to us.

To install an ARM distribution of Linux, you must ensure that the image is an ARM-based image else the installation will likely fail due to incompatible architecture. We normally recommend using the Parallels Desktop main Installation Assistant menu, which provides a set of ready-to-go Linux virtual machines.
    For your convenience, we have listed the following steps to allow you to install the Ubuntu 22.04:

1. Open Parallels Desktop > Righ0 Click on Parallels Icon from the Dock > Select Control Center

2. Click + in the top right corner > Continue > scroll to the right under Free Systems > select Download Ubuntu Linux.

3. Click Download and proceed with the installation.

You can refer to this article for more information: https://kb.parallels.com/128445

Thank you.

3. DanielP33

DanielP33 Bit poster

I am using ROS therefore need to version to be 20.04 is there anyway for this to be possible on parallels or should i look into other VMs

DoW likes this.
  4. CT_1

CT_1

Any solution on installing a 20.04 vm ? I'm having this exact issue.

DoW likes this.
  5. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

6. DoW

DoW

same problem, I have parallels 20 and ai cannot install ubuntu 20.04
    Pops up the message: "The specified image cannot be used because your Mac is equipped with the Apple M series chip that doesn't support Intel-based operating systems." It's strage because with previous version of Parallels I was able to use the sema ISO