Network Initialization Failed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StephenB13, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Hu5k3

Hu5k3 Bit poster

I registered just to answer MuratG and Parallels. This is pure bulls**t. I've been paid Parallels user since I bought my first Mac back in 2016. So the licensing issue makes absolutelly no sense.

Kiki likes this.
  2. Dmitry26

Dmitry26 Bit poster

Thank you RenatN. Surprisingly, but a fact!!! everything works!!!

3. Hu5k3

Hu5k3 Bit poster

Well done RenatN! This did the trick for me but in combination with disabling IPv6 for Shared network.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2020
  4. JonM11

JonM11 Bit poster

I tried to use RenatN's approach but I don't know Terminal and I can't work out how to change -1 to 0. Any tips?

5. JonM11

JonM11 Bit poster

FYI, I just restarted the iMac using an external cloned drive with Big Sur 11.0.1 and Parallels 16.1.1; everything worked fine

6. PSG

PSG Member

Code:

1) Close Parallels completely
    2) In Terminal, type : sudo nano /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml (this will open the Terminal text editor "nano")
    3) Type your admin password to access the file
    4) Locate this line <usekextless>-1</usekextless> it could be also value 1  and replace whatever value there with 0, so you should have <usekextless>0</usekextless>
    5) Press Ctrl+O to ask for a save, then Ctrl+X to close the editor
    In Terminal, type : sudo nano /Library/Preferences/Parallels/dispatcher.desktop.xml
    find <usb>0</usb> and change 0 to 1
    again Press Ctrl+O to ask for a save, then Ctrl+X to close the editor
    6) Close Terminal and open Parallels like normal, your VM should load like on Catalina and before :)

7. JonM11

JonM11 Bit poster

Thank you. I'll try that later when I've got some energy back!

8. PSG

PSG Member

also it's true that only USB storage device like pen-drive works in VM, I can't see different devices like usb->serial port emulating COM port or other standard windows usb devices. Parallels desktop can see I attached this type of device in "usb device" window but can't mount it to VM bootcamp win10PRO
    i tried to play with USB2.0 and 3.0 option on/off but nothing helped, all storage are ok but nothing more

KostasS2 likes this.
  9. Pokono

Pokono Bit poster

Yes, the only thing that worked, after losing 2 working days was to destroy all my vagrant machines, completely uninstall parallels (and all preference files, I used Clean My Mac for that), reboot, reinstall, reboot. The issue was triggered by updating macos big sur from 11.0.1 to 11.1. Everything was working well before the update.

10. PSG

PSG Member

@Pokono
    I use parallels in bigsur 11.1 without a problem, of course both XML files must be edited to fix network and USB in VM. I've got one win10 VM from bootcamp partition. You have to edit both files

11. JonM11

JonM11 Bit poster

I'm not keen on fixing Parallels' problems. Looks like we need an update ASAP.

12. PSG

PSG Member

right, new update should include both: a fix for XML files and ability to mount other than storage usb devices to VM

13. Daniele22

Daniele22 Junior Member

me too... for work i need a usb serial control (COM Port) but doesn't work
    any solution???
    :(

14. frempongA

frempongA Bit poster

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oYhYRPu6IZc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. PSG

PSG Member

16. JonM11

JonM11 Bit poster

I just had a remote session after I raised a support ticket. He knew exactly what he was doing, got Parallels Desktop working with Big Sur 11.1 and restored my Windows apps and data.

17. JonM11

JonM11 Bit poster

PS And he didn't do what TalhaH posted above.

18. PSG

PSG Member

Yes we know that "support", he did same job for both xml files with -1 to 0 (network fix) and 0 to 1 for usb fix but he used another tool to hide the same job.
    anyway ONLY storage usb devices works, other usb things like virtual com port is detected but can't be mounted to VM

19. ThuyM

ThuyM Bit poster

Amazing good job!!! Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2020
  20. Daniele22

Daniele22 Junior Member

exactly!!! no news now about this problem