Network Initialization Failed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StephenB13, Oct 6, 2018.

1. chrispratt247

chrispratt247 Member

Is there still no official "fix" for this? I've waited months to upgrade to Big Sur and felt it would be a good time to do now. I'm a daily user of Parallels and thought that any niggles would have been resolved by now.
    I'm on the latest version of Parallels but getting no networking at all. I had the Network Initialization failed message and enabled Parallels in the System Preferences Security and Privacy settings and that no longer appears.
    I've tried to edit /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml - but the line with <usekextless> does not exist in the file.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. lalala

lalala Bit poster

This are the first lines of mine:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <ParallelsNetworkConfig schemaVersion="1.0" dyn_lists="VirtualNetworks 1">
    <SystemFlags></SystemFlags>
    <IPv6Enabled>1</IPv6Enabled>
    <UseKextless>0</UseKextless>
    <StartNaptd>-1</StartNaptd>
    <NATDAllowEtcHostsWrite>1</NATDAllowEtcHostsWrite>
    <UDPSendBufSize>4106</UDPSendBufSize>

3. chrispratt247

chrispratt247 Member

These are the first few lines of mine... (UseKextless does not appear anywhere within in) How strange...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <ParallelsNetworkConfig schemaVersion="1.0" dyn_lists="VirtualNetworks 1 VZNetworkConfig 0">
    <SystemFlags></SystemFlags>
    <IPv6Enabled>1</IPv6Enabled>
    <VirtualNetworks id="0" dyn_lists="VirtualNetwork 2">
    <VirtualNetwork id="0" dyn_lists="VZVirtualNetwork 0">

4. chrispratt247

chrispratt247 Member

Have manually added it now and it appears to work for me now. Many thanks.

5. Pete248

Pete248 Bit poster

Glad I found this thread.
    Setting "<UseKextless>0</UseKextless>" did the trick for me as well.

Unbelievable that Parallels has not fixed this bug for more than 6 months now.

6. PSG

PSG Member

Dev team didn't need it because problem exist only in business edition. If you try to use trial PRO version you can even delete that file and it will be created again. Business edition was intentionally messed up.

7. Pete248

Pete248 Bit poster

I have a PRO subscription not a business edition. The file was already present on my system but with line <UseKextless>-1</UseKextless>
    Changed it to 0 and all network adapters including bond0 showed up again in Parallels.
    Don't know what you are talking about.