New Build 1898 is out :)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by firebird2k, Sep 19, 2006.

1. firebird2k

firebird2k Bit poster

Thanks Parallels!

Keep up the great work!

2. David Watson

David Watson Junior Member

Seems to be working reasonably well for me. Mac Pro 2x2.66/5GB RAM. I have it limited to 2000MB RAM. No problems so far - I was getting the 'Unable to allocate VM memory' with 1896.2, now I can run 2 VMs simultaneously.

3. zzzachi

zzzachi Junior Member

limit memory to 2gb

just to be sure...

this limitation affects not only parallels desktop, but
    means i also have only 2gb for my native mac applications?

thanks for the info !

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It is temporary solution. We will have build with full support for 64-bit Macs with more than 2G RAM onboard in 1-2 weeks. I apologise for current ugly solution.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Yes. You can undo limitation using Parallels menu Help->Revert memory settings or by simple uninstalling Parallels. Normal solution will come in 1-2 weeks.

6. josquin

josquin Bit poster

Need to reset set maxmem?

I downloaded and installed the new build. When I went to run Parallels, I got a message saying that my memory had been set to a max of 2 GB, and that I needed to restart. I thought this was a little strange, since I had already limited my memory to 2 GB.

I restarted anyway, and when I went to run Parallels, I got the same message about needing to restart. Parallels wouldn't run.

Before restarting again, I thought I'd try resetting my manual memory override by running:

nvram boot-args="maxmem="

I did that and restarted; now Parallels is running fine.

--> Bottom line: maybe it's just me, but it seems that you need to undo any manual override of max memory before Parallels 1898 will run properly.

7. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

Andrew, as long as your here...
    Does this release change handling of USB devices at all? Since the release version, each update has worked with less and less of my devices. Now, all of them produce the never ending error about device being in use, please try again etc.

I have seen many people posting about this, but never any response adressing this this complaint. Please tell us something about usb.

8. zzzachi

zzzachi Junior Member

to unset all nvram modifications use : nvram boot-args=""

9. zzzachi

zzzachi Junior Member

as long as parallels doesnt run with all my memory active its not really an option for me.
    it is really an ugly situation. I hope you get it done soon!

thanks for your support!

10. Andrew @ Parallels

There were no any USB changes since 1884 (previous RC). Could you verify it again please - check some device both on 1884 and on 1898?

11. trlblzr

trlblzr Junior Member

In response to USB on the 1898... After installing, setting the memory and rebooting (I only have 2 GB) I run Parallels and immediately after the "BIOS" screen appears (black w/ white text), my keyboard and mouse stop responding, seemingly locking the machine up. The Parallels window is still up, black BIOS screen, but the hard drive icon on the bottom of the window is solid green, as though it's writing something to the hard drive file. Have to hard reboot.

1896.2 has zero problems for me, so I've got to revert... anyone have thoughts on this?

BTW, I don't have any USB devices 'cept for keyboard and mouse...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  12. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

I get the device is in use error on both versions, and with almost all devices. I have a canon scanner, midi interface, two audio interfaces (griffin imic and telex usb audio), keyspan serial adapter. The canon scanner works fine. All other devices produce the error. If I set the VM to autoconnect, my screen will eventually fill with those error boxes and I have to close them fast enogh to try to control parallels before the next one pops up.

The only two devices I really need to use with parallels is the audio interfaces and the keyspan. The keyspan did work with the initial release, but has failed on all updates since.

13. Bruno R

Bruno R Bit poster

Works like a charm (and so did build 1892)

Environmentals

Host

2 * 2.66 Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon - 2GB 667 Ram
    Mac OS X 10.4.7

Parallels Build 1898

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Using Crystal Reports to connect to MS SQL (using ODBC - RDO or OLE DB - ADO)
    Retrieving +1.000.000 records in a +22.000 page report in less then 30 seconds

14. Andrew @ Parallels

trlblzr,
    Is it reproducable? Could you try it again please with build 1898?

15. trlblzr

trlblzr Junior Member

Hi Andrew,

It happened 3 times in a row exactly the same time/place. This was using 1898 (the newest). Does not happen with any previous build (tried them all!).

Jason

PS: My config:

Mac Pro 2.6 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Wireless/Bluetooth
    Single Superdrive
    ATI 1900XT

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  16. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Andrew—

If I select "Revert Memory Back" (which, incidentally, is redundant—"back" is unnecessary and incorrect after "revert"), I get the spinning beach-ball and I have to force quit Parallels before I can restart. This has happened every time I have tried to revert to full memory settings. (The revert command does work, however; when I check my memory after rebooting, it's at the full 3 GB.)

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Thanks for info! Our support team will follow up with this problem. Does anyone else has the same problem?

18. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Please, describe this issue in some more details:
    does this happen while your Virtual Machine is running (or it is powered off) ?
    What Mac do you have ?

Thanks!

19. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

My revert procedure:
    1) I close my VM (WXP Home)
    2) I select "Revert Memory Back"
    3) When the message about having to restart to revert to the full memory comes up, I click "OK"
    4) I get the spinning beach-ball, I wait and wait, then I go to the dock to quit and the message says "Application not responding"
    5) I select "Force Quit"
    6) Parallels does not quit
    7) I use the Command-Option-Esc key combination and try again to force quit Parallels; this time Parallels quits
    8) I reboot my Mac

I have a Mac Pro with 3 GB RAM.

20. dnanian

dnanian Member

I'm now able to start my VMs (yay!), but while it'll run without KPing, my networking just isn't working properly. I tried to update the device drivers from the Parallels Tools image, but I get an error when I attempt it (something about no device entry for driver).

I tried playing the standard/jumbo/standard packet game with no luck.

Any idea what might be going on, and how I might be able to get it to work?