New Debian install - having two dumb problems

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by sfsdfd, Jan 7, 2018.

1. sfsdfd

sfsdfd Bit poster

I've just installed Debian from the Stretch stable DVD release in Parallels within MacOS. I'm running into two frustrating (and related) problems.

1) I chose the "share entire MacOS folder with Linux" option during the install. However, I can't find it mounted anywhere - and I can't find anything in /dev that would allow me to mount it.

2) Mouse lock is driving me crazy, and I can't install Parallels Tools.

This is a pure console Debian install, so I have no need for a mouse. Yet, every time I activate the Debian window - or even the Control Center window - my mouse gets locked to the Debian console window.

It gets worse. I've learned that at least some options for controlling this behavior are available in Parallels Tools. I've also learned that there are two ways to install Parallels Tools - yet I can't use either of them.

The first way is to select Install Parallels Tools from the Action menu of Control Center. However... this requires clicking in the toolbar... while the window is active... you see the problem? Whenever either the Debian window or Control Center are active, my mouse is locked to Debian, so I can see the menu bar but can't access it. And the moment I release the mouse from either window, the menu bar disappears.

The less preferred away is to access it via the original install media - which either Parallels or Debian failed to map to any point in my Debian filesystem. I could reestablish the mount myself if I could access the media, but I can't, because... see #1.

Little help please?

2. sfsdfd

sfsdfd Bit poster

Never mind. The answer is: Parallels will not stop grabbing the mouse. You cannot turn it off.

Deleting my Parallels Debian install and going to find a less stupid VM for this task.

3. JohnM36

JohnM36 Bit poster

Did you notice the little message in the upper left corner of the Debian window that says "ctrl-alt to free cursor"?
    Once you have the tools installed properly, you should not need to do that. Parallels no longer "grabs the mouse", so you can move freely between the Debian window and the rest of your Mac.