New to Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RaleurB, Apr 12, 2020.

1. RaleurB

RaleurB Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm currently testing Parallels 15 on an entry-level rMBP Early 2015.
    I must say I am impressed, thinking of buying the product after the 15 days trial.

However I have some questions pending :
    - If I purchase the latest software version (15) in April 2020, will I have to pay again for an upgrade (to Parallels 16) in a few months when macOS 10.16 will be out (sept./oct. 2020) ?
    - Will Parallels 15 (which was out in August 2019) still be compatible with macOS 10.16, allowing me to upgrade Parallels only every 2 years ?
    Now relating to my experience :
    - Is there a way to reduce VM CPU usage ? Windows is perfectly smooth, but sometimes my MacBook CPU is over 75°C and I fear it'll wear it faster.

Thanks !
    PS My main language is French.

2. Hello,
    - If I purchase the latest software version (15) in April 2020, will I have to pay again for an upgrade (to Parallels 16) in a few months when macOS 10.16 will be out (sept./oct. 2020) ?
    No, all updates and upgrades during the subscription period is free.
    - Will Parallels 15 (which was out in August 2019) still be compatible with macOS 10.16, allowing me to upgrade Parallels only every 2 years ?
    Unfortunately we have no info about future update/or new version until it will be official released..But, btw Parallels Desktop 14 is only partly compatible with macOS Catalina
    - Is there a way to reduce VM CPU usage ? Windows is perfectly smooth, but sometimes my MacBook CPU is over 75°C and I fear it'll wear it faster.
    You can check this KB article an let us know if it's not that case.

3. RaleurB

RaleurB Bit poster

Hello and thanks for your answers !
    Thanks. I have one lastquestion to ask.
    Can I move my Virtual Machine (installed, and already activated) from my Internal SSD to external SSD without losing Activation state ?

As I have tried many different installations (with Parallels and VMWare Fusion) on the same Mac with the same (genuine) Microsoft Windows key (activated each time), Microsoft now won't allow me to reactivate Windows anymore and I had to activate a spare key I had !!

4. RaleurB

RaleurB Bit poster

Hello, just a follow up.
    - I've activated Windows 10 with a spare key I had (I am an IT technician).
    - I've moved my virtual machine to an external Samsung T5 SSD and it works like a charm, activation is still OK. (but I still have an issue : sound is stuttering in Windows. I've already tried to tweak sound settings to no avail. I guess my host CPU is not powerful enough).

5. [QUOTE="RaleurB, post: but I still have an issue : sound is stuttering in Windows. I've already tried to tweak sound settings to no avail. I guess my host CPU is not powerful enough).[/QUOTE]
    Do you have this issue with any specific app? Or whole Windows has this issue?
    Did you reinstall Parallels Tools just for checking?