Newbie Help transferring

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by likegadgets, Aug 24, 2008.

1. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

New to the Mac - but very experienced WIN user. I installed parallels on my new iMac. I installed a fresh WINXP Pro and that worked OK. This created the two files:

Microsoft Windows XP.pvs
    winxp.hdd

I upgraded it to SP2 (XP disk had no SP2). All fine so far.

I then ran Transporter on my XP PRO SP2 machine and created a local VM with the resulting files:

winxp.hdd
    winxp.pvs

The hdd file is 110 GB - took a while.

I copied the above files to an external USB hard drive. And then copied the files to the same folder as I had the files from the XP installation (renamed them to winxp2.hdd and winxp2.pvs.

When trying to run the PVS it boots - but it is not my PC. It looks like the clean install.

I removed them from the iMac and I am back to the clean install. I have the PC VM files on the external USB drive.

1. Where should I put these?
    2.- How do I run them?

Thanks

2. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

OK - I copied the files to a new folder, and:

1. The machine booted - but inactivated. Had to call Microsoft to get activation by phone.
    2. Impossible so far to install parallel tools. Read about the VGA fix but it crashes at trying to install this.

So far not as easy as advertised...

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Parallels Tools please check that CD/DVD is enabled in Configuration Editor- CD/DVD,
    Start VM, and select Actions - Install Parallels Tools

4. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

Well, I finally installed the tools but only by running windows in safe mode and creating a physical CD with the tools from my clean install VM.

If I change the CD to anything other than default - XP crashes with BSOD. It will not even reboot unless I set CD to default.

This is no easy set up running in minutes.

5. John@Parallels

I suppose virus check and Windows repair is necessary

6. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

Virus check was the first thing I did after setup. I am not sure about running a repair on XP - it seems to run perfectly except for parallel issues I listed.

On another thread you mentioned that my iSight problems may be related to a bad parallel installation. Can I just reinstall parallels on the MAC without affecting the tweaking on settings I have done on the VM? (I have cloned it just in case).

7. John@Parallels

Actually yes, but my suggestion was related to BSOD problem during CD change, this is pointing me to fact , that repair is necessary