NFS, Leopard, and Ubuntu 7.04 as client problems

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by josephabennett, Nov 27, 2007.

1. josephabennett

josephabennett Bit poster

I have not been able to get NFS to work at all from my client OS (Ubuntu 7.04) to connect to the Mac host. I can have other macs and other standalone Linux boxes running Ubuntu to connect to this same mac via NFS, but not the client Ubuntu running on Parallels. Setup:

On mac (macbook pro):
    OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
    Parallels Desktop 5570 (new beta)
    /etc/exports for has a share called /external/path
    "showmount -e" indicates /external/path is accessible by everyone.
    Other macs, and other Linux boxes, can connect to this mac.

On Ubuntu 7.04 client
    Shared networking
    IP of the client: 10.211.55.6
    IP of the mac -> 10.1.192.68, can be pinged via typing "ping joes-macbook-pro.local", which is the name of the macbook.
    when i do "sudo mount -t nfs 10.1.192.68:/external/path mac" (mac is the folder name I'm using), the command just hangs. never returns a timeout, never does anything.
    I've tried mounting to 10.211.55.1 (which i can also ping, and I assume is the VM "router")
    I've tried mounting to 192.168.204.1, which is "vmnet8" in the mac's "ifconfig" command, also hangs.
    And finally, i've tried mounting to 192.168.55.1, which is "vmnet1". When I do this, instead of a hang, I get a "RPC: Authentication Error: why = client credential too weak"

Any thoughts?

I would really prefer something like NFS to Samba, because then I can access things via the command line. I haven't figured out how to connect to a Samba share and access from the command line (only the GUI). And, when I try to mount Samba shares via the command line, i get an error stating "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock <blah blah blah>"

The reason I'm doing this... I want to have my source files for a Verilog/VHDL project I'm working on on the mac so that I get the benefits of Time Machine, yet compile it on my Linux VM (since that is what i need to run actual simulations).

Joe

2. josephabennett

josephabennett Bit poster

More Updates - appears to be a "shared network" problem

OK, this issue exists also on builds 5540 (publicly released beta), and 5160 (last official release).

Also exists when i use host only networking.

However, once I switch over to bridged networking, where the VM has its own IP address on the same subnet as the mac, mounting worked no problem.

So, i think there is a "bug" here somewhere, or there is something else that needs to be specified to leopard for NFS when using shared networking. Could even be the "bug" is in Leopard for all I know. I don't have a Tiger machine to check this out.