No Backslash??

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndyBrew, Sep 8, 2008.

1. AndyBrew

AndyBrew Bit poster

Hi

I have installed parallels on my iMac and have installed Windows XP professional and everything works perfectly other than when I press the '\' key I get the hash symbol?

Currently I am copying and pasting my backslash when required.

Regards

Andy

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Probably layout in Windows selected incorrectly.
    Please check that layout in Windows is the same as in Mac

3. AndyBrew

AndyBrew Bit poster

what do you mean by layout?

I am a complete Mac novice, sorry!

4. John@Parallels

5. AndyBrew

AndyBrew Bit poster

In XP I have English (United Kingdom) Keyboard United Kingdom

where do I compare this to on the MAC I have looked in International -> Input Menu -> British

all looks to be ok, any other ideas?

6. AndyBrew

AndyBrew Bit poster

as shown above I have found that the ` key gives me a \ but it would still be nice to have the relevant keys producing the correct characters?

7. Soloo

Soloo Member

Did you tried it with using the Enter Key on the Numpad?

Enter + < = \

Enter on the Numpad is used as AltGr in Windows Host. (is working with Swiss KB, i don't know where the \ is on the British Layout).

8. John@Parallels

Some additional tips:

The keystrokes required for typing different special symbols are listed in the table below:

1) If you have French(France) layout:

@- "Alt Gr + 0"
    # - "Alt Gr + 3"

2) If you have German(Germany) layout:
    @- "Alt Gr + q"

{- "Alt Gr + 7"
    }- "Alt Gr + 0"
    [- "Alt Gr + 8"
    ] - "Alt Gr + 9"

3) if you have Swedish (Sweden) layout:

@- "Alt Gr + 2"
    4) If you have Norwegian(Bokmal) layout:

@- "Alt Gr + 2"
    $- "Alt Gr + 4"
    {- "Alt Gr + 7"
    }- "Alt Gr + 0"
    [- "Alt Gr + 8"
    ] - "Alt Gr + 9"

5). If you have Dutch (Belgian) layout:

@- "Alt Gr + 2"

Press "CTRL + ALT " instead "Alt Gr" on MacBook and MacBook Pro

Also you can do the following:

1. In the Mac top bar, click "Parallels Desktop->Preferences", choose "Keyboard" tab. Check "Translate from AltGr to NumEnter" option.

2. Then try to use the Enter key to the left from cursors keys instead of AltGr

Press FN+ENTER to reproduce INSERT (only for Mac Books and/or Mac Book Pros)

How to find out the keyboard layout in Mac OS X and Windows:

* Mac OS X: open Mac -> System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu and find out what layouts you are using.

* Windows XP: open Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages->Details->Installed Services, where you can find the layout.

9. BerndLa

BerndLa Bit poster

HI!

The previous post still does not solve for me the issue to reach the backslash for example. I am using the brand new 4.0 english Version on top of a german MacOSX Leopard with a german kexboard (MacBook Pro). Normally under MacOSX you could reach the backslash through presseng alt+shift 7 (or the vertical slash with alt+7). I could not find another solution then to copy somewhere in windows a backslash und copying it. That solution is really anoying.

Even the solution for reaching the @ described in the last post is not a good one, because the symbol is on the keyboard layout somewhere else (alt+L).

I will be really happy if someone could help me!

Kind regards
    Bernd

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. White fox

White fox Member

In Windows 98, MS-DOS and probably XP also one could hold left alt key, type 92 on the numeric keypad and then release the alt key(Assuming num lock is active and you have a numeric keypad!).
    This can be useful when unsure about the key mappings.

11. Use the Windows Keyboard layout creator

After a long conversation with Parallels support (who were pretty useless on this), the only way I found to get round this was to create a custom keyboard layout using the Windows tool, which can be found on http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx.

I started with the UK layout, and then modified the relevant keys.

I've tactfully suggested to Parallels support that they might like to post some suitable layouts on their FAQ, or at least this information.

Hope that helps