no boot device

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by max_y, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Ynot

Ynot Pro

madbandit Try to set boot sequence where CD-ROM is the first device.

Next step (if it not helps) - when you start VM up do you have CD icon disappeared from your Mac desktop?

2. kenduit

kenduit Member

image sequence

any fix on this yet???

Attached Files:

3. kenduit

kenduit Member

more images

last two images

Attached Files:

4. magrite

magrite Junior Member

Yes. The cd icon disappears. Actually, the OS installation cd is then very stubborn about coming out of the mac. It is clear to me that parallels is not seeing the disk. In fact, neither os seems to see it. So far the disc has appeared only once (out of a gagillion tries) on the desktop.

5. kenduit

kenduit Member

Error message screenshots

hope this helps

Attached Files:

6. kenduit

kenduit Member

more error message shots

just a few more

Attached Files:

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

kenduit, according to your message with
    [​IMG]
    you have scratched or bad CD. Even Mac Disk Utility can't create ISO from it, so error message came from Parallels due to CD problems.

8. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

Ynot, at the risk of being rude - that is a ridiculous answer. The CD is not scratched, and quite frankly it's insulting at the poor responses we've gotten from the Parallels support team. The thought that so many of us are having trouble getting the VM to work on the MacBook Pro, and that we all would HAPPEN to have scratched CD's is ludicrous. I also have received no responses to my support request e-mails.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

10. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

Andrew,

Attached are the screenshots, and a few extras.

Thanks

Attached Files:

11. Andrew @ Parallels

Hmm... All settings seem to be correct. Some additional questions:

1. Did you used built-in Mac CD/DVD drive? (not external usb one)
    2. Did you tried to capture ISO/CDR image and attach it instead?
    3. Did you tried some different CDs (some free Linux ISOs for example)? If not - could you try please? It will help to understand is it problem with particular CD or not?
    4. Did you tried to change boot sequence? (CD-ROM in first postion)
    5. Did your CD actually mounted by VM after start and vanished from Mac OS X desktop?

12. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

Andew,

1. Yes, I am using the build in Mac CD/DVD drive
    2. Yes, used an image of the CD and connected it to that image instead
    3. Have not tried different CD's, will see if I can locate those.
    4. Yes, I have tried changing the boot sequence, with many different combinations of being connect to an image, etc.
    5. When I start the VM, the CD disappears from the Mac OS X desktop. When I stop the VM, the CD reappears.

13. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

And attached is a screenshot of the latest error. It appears as if the VM is ready to do something, and then I get a fatal error.

Attached Files:

14. Andrew @ Parallels

I am really sorry to say so but it is one more evidence that your CD probably has some read problems with your Mac CD drive :( Your error means that VM managed to read some boot sectors from it but it contained some corrupted data and VM failed to execute this code with fatal error.

Could you try please to breathe on working surface of CD and then clean it with dry cloth (using circular moves)? And then try again?

15. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

Very frustrating - the CD is fine. I am able to read the CD from the Mac OS X Desktop. Everything is fine until I try to open the VM using the Parallels software.

It is not coincidence that so many MacBook Pro users are having difficulty with this software, and that everyone's discs are bad.

16. max_y

max_y Member

Andrew and Parallels team.

I have also followed instructions per Andrews message above and still get the No Boot Device message.

my cd, opens on a windows machine, it opens on mac os desktop and dissappears when Parallels VM runs.

i have tried to boot from an iso disk image as well.

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Could you please try any other bootable CD or ISO on your system? It is very important to know is it problems with particular CD or with all CDs in your configuration.

18. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

I'm not familiar with Linux at all, can you direct me where to get the ISO?

19. max_y

max_y Member

so you're saying you want EVERYONE who has a CD problem to buy another CD at $199 to check if its my current CD that happens to work fine in multiple pc's and on my mac os. sorry, but if that's Parallels position, then I'm definitely not going to purchase software from parallels and just use Boot Camp. Thanks for the reply

20. joem

joem Forum Maven

No, you don't have to buy another CD, and in any case, another CD that's an exact copy of the one you have won't answer their question. If you try a different bootable CD, with a different program or system on it, that most of us either have or can borrow, just to see if it boots, you will help debug the problem.

If bootcamp will work for you, it's probably the right solution. Some of us want the benefits of a virtual machine and are willing to buy Parallels and help debug it to get those benefits. If you don't need a VM and are willing to use XP, and reboot to switch OSs, and tie up disk space in a dedicated partition, and don't need the rapid backup and restore a VM gives you, why bother to buy something like Parallels when you can get bootcamp free?