no boot device

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by max_y, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ahonaker@direcway.com

ahonaker@direcway.com Bit poster

no boot disk

I changed the boot sequence to CD,hard disk, floppy
    Set the CD/DVD-ROM to Default CD/DVD-ROM and powerd on.
    At first the VM did not recognise the cd, so I ejected and reinserted it.
    On the second attempt the VM recognised the cd after I jumped back up to the pull down for devices and chose the default CD/DVD-RoM again. I then got the expected "Press any key to boot from CD..." and it loaded nicely. I am running 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo with 1GB SDRAM with Mac OS X version 10.4.7 and newest software security updates.

2. max_y

max_y Member

ejecting and reinserting cd did NOT work for me.

can you give screen shots or tell us what your settings are?

3. gnue

gnue Bit poster

it work for me :)
    when i push power on button first i got ¨no boot device....¨ error message. then i eject cd and insert again. while cd/dvd-rom tries to read i push enter several time.
    hard disk ide 0:0
    cd/dvd-rom ide 0:1
    booting - cd-rom,hard disk,floppy

4. melmahay

melmahay Bit poster

had boot problems; got it working

i downloaded build 1848 from the main download page for Mac Desktop, installed just fine, created the default VM for WinXP and then struggled with the same "no boot device" problems described in this thread.

For the record, my setup is:
    * Refurb MacBook Pro 15", 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 100gb HD
    * All Software Updates applied.
    * Boot ROM MBP11.0055.B02
    * SMC ver 1.2f10
    * DVD MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857

I've included the DVD model because there seem to be issues with reading the WinXP disks on the MacBook Pro. Not sure why this should be the case, but that's my hypothesis.

How I got it to work:

I tried repeatedly and with a number of setting to boot from the actual WinXP CD. With every attempt I received the "no boot device" message. Sometimes the disk would spin up for a bit but eventually it would time out. On one attempt I actually got a "Setup is checking..."message but then it reverted back to the old behavior.

Assuming that it was some problem of my MacBook's drive reading the WinXP disk, I put the WinXP disk in my old 12" Powerbook G4 and I created a disk image (.cdr renamed to do .iso) and copied it over to the MacBook Pro.

Setup from this image file was simple and flawless.

So, I'm now curious to know for the folks with "no boot device" problems:
    * What model?
    * Boot ROM version?
    * DVD drive model?

5. max_y

max_y Member

many people here have already tried booting from iso image...granted i did not create the image from a different computer, but did create an image will continued no boot device error....:(

6. magrite

magrite Junior Member

Borrowed another OS cd to try, and did get one step further. I was using XP Service Pack 2; the new one is XP SP1a. So here is how far I get on this borrowed cd: up to restart, than it restarts, and starts the process again. I tried disconnecting the cd before the auto-restart restart, and then got the boot problem again. I have now an NTSF partition, with stuff on it (or so it tells me as it wants to rewrite again)...

7. max_y

max_y Member

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857
    latest osx and firmware

8. elvisbot

elvisbot Bit poster

I feel much better

My MacBook is also suffering from the same problems. It never experienced these before. I've used multiple Windows XP SP2 Upgrade disks. I either experience the "no book drive" or it does succeed to boot but I immediately run into file error.

I've tried multiple builds, bootable iso files, the works..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  9. melmahay

melmahay Bit poster

forgot to mention....

that the reason I created the .iso image on my Powerbook G4 was that my MacBook Pro was having trouble mounting the WinXP CD. This was true whether Parallels was running or not. Because of these troubles I think that anyone trying to create an .iso file on the same MacBook giving "no boot device" is likely to end up with a bad .iso file.

Question of the day: does the MacBook itself have a problem mounting WinXP disks? Or is the Parallels installation interfering with the CD/DVD drive operation on the MacBook.

10. melmahay

melmahay Bit poster

'nother update; experiments with my WinXP disk

Here's what happens when I put my WinXP disk in my MacBook Pro's drive:

If Parallels is not running: the WinXP disk mounts on the MacBook desktop.

Parallels running - WinXP VM not running: the WinXP disk mounts on the MacBook desktop.

Parallels running - WinXP VM running - CD set to WinXP image. the WinXP disk is read a bit and then ejected.

Parallels running - WinXP VM running - CD set to CD/DVD drive: the WinXP disk is read and tries to mount. I am able to see it in Windows Explorer. However, I am unable to access the drive - clicking on it gives me the hourglass and eventually the drive "disappears" from Windows Explorer.

I'm still using build 1848. I did upgrade my MacBook's boot ROM to MBP11.0055.B03.

11. gnue

gnue Bit poster

just try this

open parallels
    cd/dvd-rom - defoult cd-rom, ide 0:1
    hard disk - ide 0:0
    boot sequance - cd-rom, hard disk, floppy
    power on xp
    ¨no boot device .....¨
    then insert xp installation cd
    press enter several time

i did the same and it works [for me]

12. max_y

max_y Member

been there, done that
    "several" about 10-15 times...

we need some NEW suggestions from the Parallels team

13. max_y

max_y Member

on mine, when parallels is running, the cd dissappears off the mac desktop, spins up then, no boot message, then winds down, unless i hit return again...disk does NOT eject though...

14. elvisbot

elvisbot Bit poster

Microsoft is having their way with us (proof within)

Like everyone else posting to this thread, I could not, as many times as I tried, install XP SP2 Upgrade onto my MacBook via Parallels. At first, it would get to certain points, raising hope, but ultimately fail. Then, all of the sudden, it began prompting me with the no boot device that everyone seems to know so well.

I knew that this was BS, as I was able to install various linux distributions. So, I assumed it was the CD. I exchanged the CD through my univiersity and got a fresh XP SP2 Update disk. None-the-less, it would either NOT install or make a meager attempt and prompt that file xxx was missing--this occured in the first 10 seconds of installalation. Usually, it would just prompt that I was lacking a boot device.

So, I decided to boot off my original XP disk, devoid of any SPs.

Using my original XP disk, XP Professional installed without a hitch!

(side note: As to why I already have an XP installation disk and didn't use it in the first place: the disk is licensed under the site license of my university--value: honestly--and I really did not want to go through the millions of updates required after naked XP installation--value: impatience.) I bought the update version since I own DOS, Windows 3.1, ME or something like that and still have the disks (yes, I have Windows 3.1 and DOS floppies--I might even has OS/2 in floppy form.).

I have XP w/o any SPs installed. I decided to try updating the XP installation using the Upgrade CD. Everything started out fine until it reached some xxxx.inf file and failured. I checked the Upgrade CD for the file and it is there, under /i386/. There is/was no excuse for the failure.

I decide immediately to make a copy of my XP Upgrade disk with Toast because doing so was on my task list. Everything copies just fine.

So, just out of curiousity, I attempt to complete the install with my copy of the original XP upgrade disk. To my surprise, SUCCESS :eek: !! (worth two "!" because I have been working on this problem for a week.).

Therefore, I conclude that something is either wrong with the Windows XP Professional SP2 upgrade disk supplied by MS or my MacBook's DVD drive has some problem reading disks created by Microsoft?!. The first conclusion, prima faca, seems much more likely that the second: nearly every MacBook's CD drive is deficite in such a manner that Parallels cannot install copies of XP off of current XP install disks. Universalizing the first leads to all Macs running Parallels have problems reading new XP disk, or, at least, XP SP2 Professional Upgrade disks.

Of course, I am assuming that everyone who is experiencing this problem is using a post-Parallels Desktop release of Windows XP version x.nm

Why would would XP Professional not install off the original but successfully install off a copy of the original? Chew on that Parallels. The Windows disks are at fault or your code has trouble booting off primary Windows XP install disk, those are the only reasonable conclusiosn. Is Parallels software not reading the XP cds correctly? Possibly, but this conclusion undermines the primary purpose of Parallels Desktop for OS X. So, I do not believe this conclusion can hold--unless Parallels ability to boot off Windows disks is being underminded by another party. Why can't the later conclusion hold? Most would hold to the truth of ths contention: XP on OS X is probably the primary reason why one might purchase Parallels, or that Parallels exists today--not to offend linux because I love you so so much.

Another conclusion: Microsoft (is cursing moderated on this forum?) is, um, ... at the root of this problem.

Old Windows XP CDs work but new CDs fail during the installation process or simply do not work. Since everyone here has legal license keys, why don't we all pass around a working CD image over BT. No laws broken as long as a license key is not provided. Or, maybe someone could up a working image of the OS in question onto this board. Again, since we all have keys, and for those who do not, well, no harm done.

We can not let the Man do this to us! I mean, this took up over a week of my time.

15. magrite

magrite Junior Member

Also working with XP SP2. Have made it around the first "no boot disk"; now in an endless cycle of the first stage of installation.

Here is what happens: Blue Screen "Windows Installation" appears, goes through the motions including partitioning the 8K (NTSF). When the system automatically reboots, it starts all over again. I have tried ejecting both the disk and the disk image (I too have now spent a week on this, and have tried all possible variations) through disconnecting the default cd drive when the automatic reboot tells you to eject the disk in drive a. I have tried doing nothing, and letting the system reboot. I have tried this both with the cd set in the first and second IDE positions. I have tried this with the boot order as cd first, then as hd first.

I got this far also with a XP service pack 1a (a disk borrowed from a colleague). SAME problems. I do think that the first disk that I was working with was damaged (surprise, surprise), because I couldn't get the default cd drive to recognize it at all. I was able to burn an iso image of it, but could not boot from it. Now my initial boot problems seemed to be solved, but I do get the message again when the system reboots automatically and I have disconnected the XP image through disconnecting the cd drive. To clarify, this is another copy (iso image) of XP SP2 made by a colleague on another computer. I am using build 1848.2.

I have a .pdf showing step by step screen shots of this process that seems to exceed the forum file size, I can email it to you if you would like (I'm not sure how that works... new to the forum world).

16. melmahay

melmahay Bit poster

Elvisbot,

I'm fairly certain that something on Microsoft's disks is causing the CD readers to choke.

Today I tried to install my Office Mac disks and the CD would not mount - it would spin and be read for a bit - but always it would end up ejected.

I simply inserted it in my old Powerbook G4 (thank goodness I still have it), created a disk image, and used that image just fine on my MacBook Pro.

I'm guessin' it's some copy protection scheme they started using along the way.

17. Randall Bello

Randall Bello Bit poster

do you see diskarbitrator not responding messages in console or system logs?

My win xp pro is working nicely.
    However, I get the no boot device trying to install most every linux on the planet.
    I always see the "diskabitrator not responding message" pop up every time I have this problem.

In the past I have shut off Vt and the problem fixed itself but this is not guarenteed. I guess I am just trying to get parallels to go down a different code path and sometimes it works.

It would be great if you parallels guys would try a linux install or two as well.

:D

18. Randall Bello

Randall Bello Bit poster

o I forgot to mention that I am using a Mac Pro 3.0.

19. magrite

magrite Junior Member

Did everyone figure it out or give up? I could REALLY use some help. What I've figured out with my first step in windows installation that lead to an endless restart of the installation process is that there is something still wrong with the boot sector. I can't get to the next step in installing XP because it won't boot from the harddisk once the first installation step is complete. When it boots from the cd image, it starts in the same place: step one in the installation process.

20. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I've seen this on real hardware also...

I used to refurbish PCs for a school district when Win2k was new. Some machines worked, some machines didn't even though they all had the same discs and the same (make and model) CD drives.

I eventually got to the point where I just made copies of all the origonal discs and used copies. For some strange reason all the copies worked where the origionals failed.

Its a combination of CD hardware and MS disk that does it. If you try to copy the data off the disk using cp then you get no errors, even though the installer reports something is wrong. My guess is that the installer is looking for something on the disk that isn't supposed to be on a CD in the first place, and it skips that check if the disk is burned.