No DirectX overlay mode yet (why???)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BlueTrance, Jun 7, 2007.

1. BlueTrance

BlueTrance Junior Member

I had hope about Parallels 3.0 working fine with the only thing I missed: My "damn-windows-only" Pinnacle video capturer.

After watching Quake IV and Half Life 2 fully working I thought it was pretty obvious that a simple plug-play-and-watch device would work. Well, I was too wrong.

Dxdiag is flawless but when I have plugged the video capturer and after rebooting because of a Kernel Panic (well... I don't mind about that, it was so expected...) I installed the device drivers, opened it's test application and there it was:
    No overlay support.

I tried with DScaler and, once again:
    No overlay support.
    [​IMG]

Is it really that hard? Overlay is something basic in DirectX since 8.0

Of course I have sent reports to Parallels several times before. If I hadn't I wouldn't be posting this here.

And I wished I could use 3D Studio 9 with DirectX 9, but I had no luck again.

Now I'm glad I didn't pay for the upgrade. (sadly)

Sorry

2. snodman

snodman Member

I'm guessing overlay IS really hard since even the VMware demo videos (their Mac software has not been released yet) don't show it.

3. kalintri

kalintri Bit poster

Same here,
    I have a LifeView USB.Ext TV tuner/capture, which is Windows only. Works perfectly in bootcamp, but in Parallels says something like no overlay support! :(
    This is so inconvenient, since I don't realy want to restart into bootcamp every time I wanna watch TV. I realy hope that they fix this soon.
    Cheers,