No Dock Icons

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NessyUK, Jun 15, 2007.

1. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

Hi - since upgrading to 3 I have lost the ability to have App Icons on my Doc. I have tried changing the settings to Always or 'only in coherence' etc. but I only have the one parallels icon in my doc. I therefore cannot set any favorite apps etc.

Also, I dont seem to have SmartSelect on the Mac side - in windows I can open items up in Mac but I have nothing on the Mac side. Do I need to do something?

Thanks,

Chris

2. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

NOTE : This is with Vista using bootcamp partition....

Has anyone else made sure they still get there doc icons?

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I lost one dock icon. It showed a question mark over the old icon, because it was pointing to the old version. I opened that application and reset the dock icon, after throwing the old one in the trash. Interestingly, my other dock icon was converted correctly.

Also, in Parallels Tools, do you have Coherence enabled and Favorites Enabled? If not, try enabling them. There should be a Parallels Tools Icon in the Windows status bar as one of the little icons on the right - same line as the START menu but on the right. Right click on it and check the settings.

If that fails, you might try reinstalling Parallels Tools. ( uninstall, reboot VM, and reinstall Parallels Tools.)

Uninstall through the Windows Add/Remove Programs function in the control panel.
    Reinstall through the Parallels Actions menu while VM is running.

4. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

ok - thanks for the reply.

I did all the above and no different.

HOWEVER, I have been playing and notices something that makes this stranger...

I loaded a screencast on the Windows and the doc icon appeared! I then tried Notepad, no doc icon, my Libronix software, no doc icon, I then played a video - doc icon.....it seems like only certain programs are generating the doc icon.

CMD on windows does not, I tried creating batch files to apps to see if that 'did it' but it was no good, tried compatibility mode....no good. How weird is this! So - I do get doc icons where I can 'add to favorites' but only for some random apps.

I am running Vista Business from bootcamp partition. I have reinstalled Tools.

Anyone else?!?!?

5. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

Ok - here are 3 screen shots which clearly show the doc icon working but 'not' working....

If Parallels team read this and want more info then please feel free to contact me...

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Oops...I am running XP not Vista.

7. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

yes - I wonder if this is the difference as it worked with XP. I went to Vista when 3.0 came out. Would be interested if others have this issue in Vista (try loading Notepad, command prompt etc. and see if you get the doc-icon).

While I am at it - I would like to say I really, REALLY like Parallels. Its enabled me to stay a happy Mac user and nip into Windows when I need to. I don't have any performance issues as far as I am concerned; sure it takes a while to 'boot' and intensive stuff can be a bit slow but hey I am running virtual and if it means for 95% I can stay in OSX then I am well happy.

I'm sure VMWare will play catch-up and in the end we will end up with VERY similar products but I remember that Parallels where the first to risk it with the Mac whilst the BIG company that had MUCH experience and resource did not think we were 'worth' it....then when we started taking over the world (in my department we are down to 1 who has not bought a mac!! And he is thinking!!) they decided there was money to be made.

Thanks Parallels. Forums always seem to end up with moaning cos its full of people (and people like to moan). OK - some have struggled with support but tell me a company that at some point does not struggle with support. You will get there in the end. I had it in the company I work for, where our support was considered 'lacking' compared to others. I am the support manager and a couple of years down the road it is the others that are now considered 'lacking'.

8. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

bump....anyone else tried this on vista?

9. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

Bump again, anyone seen this (don't forget screen grabs on post above)....

10. Bradshoe

Bradshoe Bit poster

Reloaded Icons - looks great but doesn't work

This is not a complaint as I too am happy - I am a recent MAC convert but parallels made the transition easier - some of my software like libronix isn't mac available. Anyway -

I ran Vista on P2.5, then upgraded to 3.0. My Icons all went to the ? the moment I tried accessing the files. They used to work, that is, they would start P2.5 and load - it was great. Then I saw with 3.0 that I could link Mac files (mainly pdfs) to my Acrobat pro 8.1 in Vista. However what actually happens is they will start Vista but not load either the software or the file.

Checking further I found the icons in the mac task bar will load Parallels and Vista but not the software. This is true of a bunch of different titles, regardless of the softwares complexity.

So it is not working as well as the old version, in this regard. However Parallels writers are on the right track and will hopefully repair it.

In the meantime - I have my Mac and a PC too. No worries.

Brad

11. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

OK - all fixed. Here is what I found out.

I have 2 profiles on my Mac. A Work on and a Home one. I originally installed Parallels under my Work profile - into the SHARED users and ensured that both users had read/write.
    When I started playing with 3.0 it was at home, I logged in and changed the settings for doc Icons to Always etc. and it allowed me to SAVE these settings. However, as you can see from the POST and PICTURES above this did not work.

I then started playing at work and went into the Config and noticed that Doc Icons was set to NEVER! I enabled and viola - all worked ok.

Although I wanted exactly the same settings between users (hence the shared) I have now just created 2 parallels settings pointing to my Bootcamp partition with no problems.

Phew.