no ethernet support in FreeBSD 6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by snak-pak, May 1, 2006.

1. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

I cannot get the Parallels network adapter to work in any of the BSDs I'd tried. Comes up at NE2000, an old Novell ethernet adapter but it doesn't work. I have tried FreeBSD 6.1RC1 and OpenBSD 3.9, both are the most modern of their respective branches of development. Since I use both of these operating systems it would be very useful to have working in Parallels VM... the intstalls for both go fine, systems work fine except for no network support. Any thoughts?

2. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

I just downloaded FreeBSD 6.1 RC2 and would also like an answer on networking. Anybody have it working?

3. bgreat

bgreat Junior Member

I have had the same issue with Linux when DHCP is specified and I use the wireless adapter on the Mac. Specifying a static IP for the adapter works fine. Maybe this will help with your FreeBSD issues also.

4. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

I think all the BSDs aren't really supported in Parallels for OS X. No one from Parallels has replied here, and the issue with the network adapter is easily reproducable. I'm disappointed about this. I don't really want to specify a static IP for Linux or FreeBSD due to my ever-changing environment.

I wonder why Parallels lists FreeBSD as "supported" when it isn't really. I actually might hold off with my purchase now and see if other options come available... or see if Parallels addresses the issue with the network adapter.

5. ernie

ernie Member

I have had no network support problems with FreeBSD, when Parallels asks what FreeBSD version I select 5.x from the pop down menu, and that works with 6.1-RC2, it comes up as the ed0 ethernet interface. I am just downloading the iso of PCBSD that came out this week for a try. I do always run a static IP after years of BSD headaches with DHCP, perhps that helps.

6. aleax

aleax Bit poster

OK, _what_ static IP should I assign to the client's ed0 so the host can see it and share disk slices, internet, etc? I have an identical problem (no DHCP) with a Linux ubuntu client, but got no replies to my post of this morning on the subject... thanks!

Alex

7. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

I also selected 5.x in Parallels with my FreeBSD 6.1-RC2 install. The interface ed0 in FreeBSD is sensed as a Novell NE2000-compatible interface, the same that OpenBSD finds. I can confirm it does work with a static IP address, however it absolutely does not work with DHCP.

Since DHCP is pretty standard and important to me, I really wish someone at Parallels could take 5 minutes and answer here if they plan to address this.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Hmm - it should work even with DHCP. We will check this - thanks for reporting!

9. fellow

fellow Junior Member

OpenBSD and linux DHCP/network over Airport issues

Will someone at Parallels please update the thread. I am ready with my card to purchase the software today. However, most of the open source OSes and Solaris are not working on the network.

What is the status?

Thank you,

fellow

10. merdely

merdely Bit poster

OpenBSD 3.8 & 3.9 work fine

I'd been using OpenBSD 3.8 for a while and just, after upgrading to RC1 of Parallels, installed OpenBSD 3.9.

I'm using bridged mode and DHCP and got an IP address on the ne3 interface immediately.

I've been able to then ssh to the VM.

HTH,
    -ME

11. ttrout

ttrout Bit poster

Adding that FreeBSD 6.1 is doing dhcp for me no problem.

12. DrJ

DrJ Bit poster

DHCP works for me on 6.1 as well. I did have to do the usual futzing with /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts.

DrJ

13. rbc

rbc Junior Member

This is another "me to". I have ethernet working with both DHCP and static IP addresses on FreeBSD 6.1 using ed0. I bought and installed Parallels Desktop for Mac (Build 1848, 12 June 2006).