"No operating system is installed on virtual disk(s)"

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by kcds, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kcds

kcds Bit poster

I'm trying to migrate a VMWare RHEL4 Image from Windows to Mac - when I run Transporter on the .vmx file, it immediately tells me "No operating system is installed on virtual disk(s) or Parallels Transporter is unable to make it bootable". I have tried accepting the "migrate as data disks" option and that runs to completion, but then the resulting .hdd files are (obviously) not bootable. The VMWare image in question was created on Windows XP and consists of three virtual disks.

I seem to be having the same problem as user "petro" did in this thread: Transporter - VMware Windows 2003 Server - No Operating System but I don't understand the suggested workaround - are you saying I need to create a new VM, install Linux into it, install Parallels Transporter into it, and run the migration from there?

I will mail the Transporter log to vireports@parallels.com.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

No it is not the suggestion I made, I meant start VmWare and install Parallels Transporter in It, and use Parallels Transporter to perform in-place migration
    In place means you start transporter from within Linux, and point to external or network disk to save VM to be created