Non "workaround" coherence!

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by neutrino15, Jan 29, 2007.

1. neutrino15

neutrino15 Junior Member

Hello parallels team! First off, I really love your product, it solves many of my needs, and does them all well. My request is totally astetic, and should be implimented to make windows seamlessly integrate into mac. You should make Coherence better!

The Problem:
    Right now, coherence seems to "cut away" the unused desktop space and make it transparent. This seems like a "hack and slash workaround" to coherence.
    Now, what (you may ask) are the downsides to doing coherence in this way? Well, for one thing, all windows of windows are on the same level. This means that you can not put an OSX window between two windows windows This is lame! Also, currently, anything that is in a transparent window is HORRID! (yahoo widgets, autodesk inventor, the start menu [how it fades in])... Whenever there is supposed to be a fade from nothing to a window, parallels shows you that slice of desktop followed by the fade (start menu)... With widgets and autodesk inventor, well, just try it! The last downside is the fact that you can not drag a windows window out of its "area" if you know what I mean. If you have 2 screens, when you try and drag a window onto your second screen, it just dissapears (you dragged it outside of the windows desktop size).. [FIXED IN NEW BETA]
    Ok, I lied, there is one more problem with this... When you drag a windows window the leading edge of that window IS you windows background. This makes dragging windows look terrible!
    **Expose also does not work properly!

The Solution?:

To make coherence better, you should make every object inside windows (all windows) into a free standing window of parallels (multiple windows under 1 app).... (think iChat).... So basically, a window of IE for windows would be viewed by OSX as a borderless window of parallels. I'm sure that by using some sort of a system hook or somthing (parallels tools) this would be possible. [Passing objects to the window manager instead of a cutaway from a desktop) The fact that parallels open up another instance of itself to run more than one VMs at once is great! This means that if you run linux and windows at the same time, all windows would be integrated yet under the app of their own OS.
    So in the end, parallels coherence would be like CLASSIC was for osx when it first came out. You would have to start up windows (os9), but then be treated to integrated windows, dock icons, seemless integration, clipboard sharing (blah blah blah)....

You get what I am saying, rite? Coherence should NOT be weird like it is now... It should truly be coherent and present every object to OSX as they would be presented to WINDOWS.

SCREENSHOTS OF SOME OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE CURRENT COHERENCE:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. neutrino15

neutrino15 Junior Member

The problem persists in the new beta!