Nvidia Quadro and VT-d

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by EugeneZ, May 20, 2012.

1. EugeneZ

EugeneZ Bit poster

Hi.

I have an HP Z800 workstation/windows 7 and PWE installed on it, to do some tests in guest with a hardware video adapter via VT-d. My video card is an Nvidia Quadro 4000. VT-d is enabled in BIOS, but the problem is that I don't see any devices in the VT-d routing tab in PWE configuration. I see only some sound cards, network adapters and stuff. If I install second video card (some Nvidia too, but not that expensive) in second PCI-e slot, I can see it in the configuration dialog, and I can export in to guest. But I want to export my NvQ 4000 card.

Am I missing something ? I'm quite sure NvQ 4000 does support VT-d.

Thanks.

2. BernardE

BernardE Bit poster

Same here

Are you using an nVidia card also as your primary? I also have the same problem, if I use an ATI in the secondary I can get VT-d to work but I think the nvidia driver is assigned to both cards:
    lspci -vv|grep nv
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidia-current, prl_vtdhook, nvidiafb, nouveau
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidia-current, prl_vtdhook, nvidiafb, nouveau
    looks like nobody has answered your question... looks like I am going to have to pass up Workstation Extreme as this is the only real option I wanted.

3. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

Yeah, you are missing that you have to use two Quadros if you want to use it the way it's officially supported.

If you just have a single graphics card in your system you can't assign it to the guest as it has to be used for the host.
    If you have desktop + a quadro you will only be able to assign one of them to the guest as the other is just unable to be assigned (only Quadros support it).

So you need two quadros at best. One for the host, one for the guest. That's the way to got.