ODBC and permissions on shared folders

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bill Rising, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Bill Rising

Bill Rising Member

Setup:
    On my Mac, there is a folder whatever which I've shared with my Windows 8.1 virtual machine. Suppose Window has assigned the drive letter is W: to this folder.
    I would like to set up an MS Excel file as a data source (I believe the ODBC folks call this a 'DSN').
    I downloaded the 64-bit ODBC drivers from MS, because they didn't see fit to bundle them on Windows 8.
    If I click through to where I would set up the DSN, I eventually get to a dialog box entitled 'ODBC Microsoft Excel Setup'.
    Problem:
    When I click on the 'Select Workbook...' button, see the Windows 3.1-version dialog box, and select w:\\psf\whatever from the Drives list, I get the error
    w:
    You don't have permission to open this location.
    Contact the location's owner or an administrator to obtain permission.
    As it turns out, the w: drive is not special. I get the same error for all shared folders.
    Confusion:
    The shared drive has read/write permissions in the sharing setup. If I go to w: drive (and any of its folders), I can use other Windows applications to read, create, and overwrite exiting files, so there really is no problem reading and writing to w:
    If I go to Windows Explorer, right-click on the
    whatever shared drive, and select the Properties item, the Read-only attribute is unchecked, so it seems there should be no problem here, either.
    Even If I go to the Mac side and do a chmod ag+w to change the permissions of the whatever folder to 777, I still get the permissions problem.
    Questions:
    How do I convince Windows that I can read/write to the w: drive?
    Is this an ODBC problem, Parallels problem or a Windows problem?
    How would I figure this out?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Bill,
    In order to fix the issue you stated, please follow the steps below:
    1. Remove Parallels Desktop, refer kb.parallels.com/122653
    2. Run repair disk permission on the Mac hard drive.
    • Launch Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility
    • Select Macintosh HD on the left panel and click Repair Disk permissions
    3. Re-install Parallels Desktop, refer http://kb.parallels.com/122647
    Note: Remove and re-installing Parallels Desktop will not affect your Virtual Machine.