Office for Mac AND Office for Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nanooq, Mar 22, 2013.

1. nanooq

nanooq Member

I'm impressed with the speed of booting/standby/resume of Parallels, however something bugs me and so far keeps me from using it in a "production mode":

I installed Parallels 8 with Windows 7 on an iMaC (Mountain Lion) that already had Office for Mac 2011 installed. For professional reasons, I need both the Mac and the Windows version of Office. After I installed Office for Windows 2010 on the Windows 7 vMachine, I noticed that the standard applications on Windows for the office file types doc, xls, ppt etc. were the Mac applications and whenever I tried to open a Windows office file, the machine switched to the Mac Office version.

But I wanted to use Windows version in the Windows vMachine on its own. I switched off using Mac from Windows and vice versa in Parallels and additionally isolated the vMachine from the Mac. Now it won't start the Mac version (with a warning message) but also doesn't start the Win version.

All I can do is manually assign the Windows Office application to each and every file type (approx. 50-100) which takes forever.

Is there a better way to that for each file type with about 5-8 steps each time ?

Would it work if I'd install Office for Windows after again after deinstalling Windows for Mac on the host system ?

I already reinstalled Office for Windows but the Windows OS installation still refers to the Mac version for the each file type, i.e. doesn't overwrite. It looks the Windows Office installation wouldn't overwrite the file type/application assignment for some reason.

Thanks,
    Stefan