Office running very slow

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by bob16946, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bob16946

bob16946 Bit poster

I have a quad core Mac Pro running Parallels 4.0 with Windows XP and Office 2007. Over the summer, everything was working fine. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and to Parallels 4.0.3846. After that, I noticed that Office was gradually running slower and slower. This weekend, Office is down to a crawl. Word takes forever to open. Opening a folder takes over a minute. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Which version of Office are you using? Please uninstall and reinstall it once.

3. bob16946

bob16946 Bit poster

I am using Office Professional. Reinstalling Office seemed to solve my problem. Thank you for the suggestion.

Bob

4. bob16946

bob16946 Bit poster

I spoke too soon. The second time I tried opening Word, the symptoms returned. It takes forever to open a folder. The hour glass and flashlight icons are working overtime to open or save a simple Word document. Hardly the performance you would expect with a quad core processor. Thanks for any help.

Bob

5. bob16946

bob16946 Bit poster

The problem seems to go beyond Office. I just took 3 minutes to see all the drives when I right clicked on Explore under "My Computer".

Bob

6. JeromeT

JeromeT Bit poster

Everything Runs Slower

Bob, I have the same problem only everything runs slow. It took 10 hours to copy files from the hard drive to a USB drive yesterday. Should have been 1 or 2 at most as there are photos involved.

I've searched for a resolution but not found as yet. Reinstalled Parallels tools and the 3846 upgrade; to no avail. It must be the upgrade because things were fine before that.

7. bob16946

bob16946 Bit poster

Jerome,

I also reinstalled Parallels 4.0 with no difference. I broke down and paid for phone support. We reconfigured Parallels (allocated more memory, changed a couple of settings) and did a disk clean-up on the VM. It is now working properly.

Bob

8. JeromeT

JeromeT Bit poster

Bob,
    Thanks for that. Just before I got your message I played with the # of CPU's and the Memory. I am working on a MacBook Pro 15" so I set the CPU's to 2 and the memory to 640mb. I restarted and nothing changed. Then I was reading the manual (heaven forbid) and I came across the Compressor. One of those aha moments when I thought the virtual hard disc must be slowing this down because the disk light is going all the time but nothing is happening. I ran the compressor and all is fine again.

Jerry

9. bob16946

bob16946 Bit poster

Hi Jerry,

I'm glad its working for you. I have a quad core processor but we left the CPUs to 1 and increased the memory from 512 to 1024MB. I have not come across Compressor yet, but I'll check it out. Thanks,

Bob