Old Win 11 Home to Win 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ShaunP4, Mar 12, 2023.

1. ShaunP4

ShaunP4 Bit poster

I have Parallels 18 running Windows 11 Home from last year on my Mac M1 Pro. I've since heard that we can purchase a valid retail key along with Windows 11 Pro Edition.

What are the steps to "swap" over?

Can I leave this VM alone, and use Parallels > File > New to install a second VM for Win 11 Pro? This way I can be reasonably assured that it'll be a fresh installation.
    OR
    Should I try to "upgrade" the existing Win 11 Home Edition by typing in a Pro key under "System > Activation"?

What's the best way to acquire a key?

I've heard that OEM keys are tied to specific hardware (though this is a VM) so not sure if that's relevant. Additional, some people have recommendedto not purchase a key via the Microsoft Store Account since its tied to your account and won't necessarily be transferable between computers / or I suppose VMs in this instance?

What's the best way to pick up a Win 11 Pro Retail key that if I move to a new Macbook M1, or elsewhere, I'll be able to reuse the key?

2. ChinmayD

ChinmayD Bit poster

Hey there! If you're looking to acquire a Windows 11 Pro Retail key that you can reuse on multiple devices, the best way to do so is by purchasing it from a legitimate reseller or directly from Microsoft.

It's important to keep in mind that OEM keys are tied to specific hardware, so they're not transferable between different devices or virtual machines. To avoid any issues, it's recommended to go for a retail key if you plan on using it on different devices.

When it comes to purchasing a key, it's always best to stick with reputable sellers or Microsoft themselves to ensure you're getting a legitimate key. Third-party sellers or unauthorized resellers may sell counterfeit or invalid keys, which can cause problems down the line.

Once you have your retail key, you can activate it on your Windows 11 Pro installation and transfer it to another device or virtual machine by deactivating it on the original device and activating it on the new one. However, keep in mind that you can only activate a retail key on one device at a time, so you'll need to purchase multiple keys if you want to use them on multiple devices simultaneously.

I hope this helps, and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!