On Windows Login "your password has expired and must be changed"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by georgesof, May 2, 2012.

1. cooledge

cooledge Bit poster

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

I had the the same problem and submitted it to Parallels support about 5 times and they responded every time with "there is no solution" and that I would have to reinstall Windows 7 which is difficult to figure out because I downloaded Windows 7 online. I called windows.com, microsoft (about 20 different departments and wasted 3 days) all of whom said they can't help. I don't have a CD drive on my laptop and am not sure how to uninstall Window7 and reinstall. Thank you for not making me go through all that!!!! I left the first password blank and created a new one and I am back in business! Thank you!

2. tblack

tblack Member

HELP! "your password has expired and must be changed"

I can't login as an administrator and install new software! I am having exactly the same problem! Parallels, what is going on?????

3. tblack

tblack Member

Problem solved

OK - I fixed this by shutting down Windows 7, attempting to login in as admin and then resetting the password when prompted for a new one.

This was scary. Why does the admin password "expire" anyway?

4. Michael Hewitt

Michael Hewitt Bit poster

Need to set Windows password in Parallels

My company requires that I run Sophos software on my Windows box, which requires me to change my password regularly and requires a strong password. Thus, making my Windows box have a password that Parallels is happy with is not an option. What I would like to do instead is make Parallels happy with my new Windows password. Thanks!

5. bobeoy

bobeoy Bit poster

This article includes 2 ways to set your password to never expire. One is to run this command at your Command Prompt:net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited. Another method is use a boot CD to remove the password expiration. I hope this works.

6. Shari_Mattice

Shari_Mattice Bit poster

I would not change your password that way, but click the windows icon at the bottom left corner of your screen; then click to open your control panel, make sure then that upper right view by area says Category! Then double click on User Accounts and Family Safety to change your password there! When the User accounts screen shows next,you should see your user account on it; there will be a list of options in the white part of the page on the left side that has a change your password link to click on, if you have not set one up there may be a set up a password link shown there too to click on to do it!

I go there to change my password now, because I don't know why but I recently have been getting a request just like you all have about every I don't know seems like 4-6 weeks asking me to change my windows password because it will expire in so much days or weeks time; if you end up waiting til that day, the other three lines asking you to put your old one in and then a new one pops up! I am changing it before that day, since I can not find out online from anyone whether or not this is not a legitimate windows request or someone's virus trying to trick me into giving them my windows password somehow so they can get into my computer!

Tell I do, I feel much safer changing it by the way I have mentioned above!

7. Svejo

Svejo Junior Member

Had the same problem. Thanks to you guys I fixed it.

8. AndreaG18

AndreaG18

Thank you for posting the 'leave current pw blank'. You saved my day!!!