"Open with..." Anomaly

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BSartist, Jan 26, 2009.

1. BSartist

BSartist Member

Inside of the MAC Mail tool, I have an email with an attachment. Let's say it's an xls file that should open in the Windows VM that is already running. When I click on it I notice a quick flash in my MAC dock but nothing happens. When I right click the attachment, I see two enteries for "Microsoft Word", two for "Microsoft Excel", two for "Internet Explorer".

If I select one of the "Microsoft Excel" entries off that context menu, it works - Excel comes up in the VM. But if I select the other I just get the barely perceptable flash in the dock and nothing happens. I suspect the latter (bogus) entry is the default one. How can I clean out these bogus entries that point to the VM app?

Bill Smith

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It seems that you either have 2 VMs, or 2 users on this Virtual machine
    If 2 Virtual machines, probably the second is corrupted or hdd is missing and only Shared Applications are there
    If 2 users - - you need to be logged as second user,
    The steps to go, is open Virtual machine bundle (v4) or folder (v3) and check how many entries for applications are there

3. BSartist

BSartist Member

Two users for the VM

Not sure if this is what you meant but I do use this VM under two different MAC login IDs (not at the same time, of course). Does that mean that it is then normal to have a bogus entry in the drop down?

I opened up the pvm file (V4) but only saw one entry for each under the Windows Application directory.

When I bring up the context menu for some files using Finder, I see more odd behavior that may provide more details.

The two entries I see for Internet Explorer are followed by a (6.0) and a (3.2). The same happens for Word, Wordpad and even Photoshop CS2 (which is only installed in the VM).

I have no idea what these (6.0 and 3.2 version number lookung things are and why there are two of them)

Thanx

Bill

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

move Windows Applications folder to external disk and disconnect it,
    What you can see, with Open with?