Opening Windows documents from Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pmhn, Mar 9, 2007.

1. pmhn

pmhn Bit poster

Hi,

It seems that Windows programs become Mac apps with the new Parallels, so I can use Quicksilver to launch Word/Powerpoint very easily.

However, I can't associate .ppt files or .doc files so that I could double-click them in Mac and they would open in the virtual machine. If I create the association, Powerpoint/Word launches but with an empty/new file.

Is there a way to create a working, seamless association?

Thanks

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That's not quite accurate. Windows programs are associated with Parallels which then launches Windows, but Windows application data are not associated with anything except in Windows.

3. crazibri

crazibri Member

The work around would be to share the folder in the VM. Then in Windows go to "My Computer" and "tools" menu, then "Map Network Drive".
    Map your \\.psf\<whatever> as a network drive and check the box to always map it if you intend to use that folder regularly.

I did that for my Quicken file because I want to make sure I can grab the file in case the Parallels Hard Disk File gets corrupt. It works great!

So to solve you problem, map the drive to your mac folder, launch the dock icon (Lets say Word), and just File-Open-Your Drive letter- and you're there. Almost as fast as file association, but not quite.

Hope this helps.

4. pmhn

pmhn Bit poster

This is what I've been doing. I still miss being able to double click the Windows document files in Finder. Maybe in some future version then.

Thanks

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

you can and they will open in MS Office for the mac

see mactopia

Hugh W

6. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

I use both Office 2003 in windows and Office 2004 on the Mac. I use a shared folder set up in my VM config. Can can seamlessly open the office file from either the Mac OS or the VM XP pro VM. Put a alias of the shared folder on you Mac desktop if that helps.

BTW, do not confuse shared folders in Windows with Parallels Shared folders. They are completely different. Parallels allows you to share a Mac OS folder(s) with your VM.

C

7. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

would be nice

<i>This is what I've been doing. I still miss being able to double click the Windows document files in Finder. Maybe in some future version then.</i>

Yeah, I understand what you are getting at. This would be a very nice feature. For example; double click on a *.wmv file in the mac finder and parallels launches Windows Media Player, opening the file.

8. pmhn

pmhn Bit poster

Exactly. Using Windows shortcuts, OSX aliases and Parallels Shared Folders sure works, but it isn't as convenient as simply double clicking a Windows document to open it, from anywhere.