OPENSTEP 4.2 - how to setup networking?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by poenn, Feb 13, 2007.

1. poenn

poenn Bit poster

Hi everyone!

I managed to get OPENSTEP 4.2 installed on my MacBook Pro with Parallels 3150RC2. I then applied the Patch 4 to get VESA support, setup my resolution and all is fine. Now I wanted to setup networking. I downloaded the NE2k driver which can be found on the net (http://www-teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk/NextStep/NE2K_driver.fdd).

After installing this there are 2 NICs automatically added in Configure.app. A reboot shows these 2 interfaces as a Realtek en0 and en1. I then tried to set it up, but somehow can't figure out how to do so.

I edited /etc/hostconfig to look like this:

HOSTNAME=OPENSTEP
    INETADDR=10.211.55.10
    ROUTER=10.211.55.1
    IPNETMASK=255.255.255.0
    IPBROADCAST=255.255.255.255

Then i created /etc/resolv.conf with this:
    hostresorder local bin
    domain
    nameserver 10.211.55.1

The VM is set to shared networking. Any ideas what I have missed or done wrong? Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks
    poenn

2. poenn

poenn Bit poster

Sorry for bumping, could someone please give me a hint what might be the problem here? Any advice or suggestion on where to look is welcome!

Thanks
    poenn

3. poenn

poenn Bit poster

I still haven't figured this one out, any help or directions please!

Thanks a lot
    Björn

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try re-installing everything.

5. poenn

poenn Bit poster

Hi Eru,

I just tried that. I completely deleted Parallels and all VMs and started from scratch. After installation of OPENSTEP and the VESA drivers I'm again at the same point. I installed the network drivers, edit /etc/hostconfig but at boot time it's the same: I see 2 that the drivers get loaded, but then the message "no response from network configuration server" and need to press ctrl-c to boot without a connection...

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
    Thanks

6. dhut

dhut Bit poster

Wrong DNS nameserver?

poenn,

It looks from the first post in this thread that you have set the nameserver in your /etc/resolv.conf file to be your router. That is almost certainly wrong.

You should set it to the DNS server as shown in your System Preferences application on Mac OS X. In normal DHCP mode, the DNS name server IP is served by the router to the other machines connected to your network. Your ISP provides the DNS name server and your router is picking this information up from the ISPs DHCP server.

The symptom you describe of having to type ctrl-c to continue boot is exactly what happens when the system can't find a DNS name server after you have told it where to look.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... That sounds valid... Unless he has DNS on his router, e.g. I use my XServe as the router and DNS server.