Optimizing Screen Resolution in Parallels 8/Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mikel51, Sep 23, 2012.

1. AppleHead

AppleHead Bit poster

I stumbled upon this thread in trying to troubleshoot my issue, which was the right side of windows apps being cut off in coherence mode. I've since moved from vga to dvi, and the problem went away.

Even though my problem is fixed, something is bothering me: I have no "resolution" option under configure->hardware->video. See attached. Tried also with the machine powered down, same thing. No "resolution" options.

Is this simply because I don't have a retina display? This is an early 2011 macbook pro.

Attached Files:

2. vikingboy

vikingboy Junior Member

wow, I just upgraded to v8 and expected this to work like it did in v7, i.e as I reset my Mac retina 13" resolution using 'setres' or similar the PC would just resize to match - v8 appears to be a PITA trying to get a useable high quality display. Thanks for the hints in this thread....off to try and solve the ugly display issue now....

3. saseelig

saseelig Bit poster

OS 10.7.5, Window 7, just upgraded to Parallels 8 and everything thing seemed fine, but the screen resolution was 'fuzzy' Went to adjust it in the control panel to the retina display size and everything got microscopic. Tried to revert it to 1440 but it would not hold.

BUT, it appears that 'Virtual Machine-->Configure-->Video' and I unchecked Enable Retina Resolution. At least it looks like it use to.

4. mmm201

mmm201 Member

Yes. You won't see the setting unless a HiDPI display is connected. This is logical and doesn't mean you're missing any functionality.
    The three options amount to:
    1. Lock my Guest to half my actual resolution. ("Scaled")
    3. Allow my Guest to use the full resolution. ("More space")
    2. Allow my Guest to use the full resolution and hold my hand setting up the Guest to look okay in it. ("Best for retina")

Option 1 really has no reason to exist in fullscreen mode. You should always use option 3 ("More space") unless you're a beginner and don't understand Windows's settings. If you don't have a retina display, you're always using option 3 anyway.

5. bamciver

bamciver Bit poster

I have been dealing with this issue for some time. Read almost all of the posts related to this issue, and had not found a "perfect" solution until today.

I'm running a MBPro Retina (mid 2012), Parallels Desktop build 8.0.18354 (rev 823166 Dec 4 2012), Windows 7. I've found the following settings provide awesome display in Windows 7 that takes advantage of the Retina resolution:

OS X:
    -Settings > Display > Resolution = Best for Retina

Parallels:
    -Options > Coherence > Use Crystal… = No
    -Options > Coherence > Show Windows… = Yes
    -Options > Coherence > Allow applications… = Yes
    -Options > Coherence > Disable Windows Aero = No
    -Options > Full Screen > Use Mac OS X Full Screen = Yes
    -Options > Full Screen > Scale to fit screen = Stretch
    -Options > Full Screen > Use all displays full screen = Yes
    -Hardware > Video > 3D acceleration = DirectX10
    -Hardware > Video > Enable vertical synch = Yes
    -Hardware > Video > Resolution = More Space

Windows:
    -Display > Resolution = 1920 x 1200
    -Display > Make text large/small... = 100%
    -Display > Adjust ClearType = Yes
    -Display > Set custom DPI = 100%
    -Display > Use Windows XP Style = Yes
    -Personalization > Mouse pointers > Pointers > Scheme = Windows Aero (extra large)

6. mmm201

mmm201 Member

bamciver: I think you'll find setting the Windows resolution to 2880x1800 and the DPI scale to 150% will make objects the same size but look much sharper. ;)

7. bamciver

bamciver Bit poster

mmm201: You are correct, that made a difference.

Although there are some applications that aren't optimized to handle the 2880x1800 resolution, and consequently, the icons inside the app are a little too small.

My preferences are for the settings above, but revised settings could also be:

OS X:
    -Settings > Display > Resolution = Best for Retina

Parallels:
    -Options > Coherence > Use Crystal… = No
    -Options > Coherence > Show Windows… = Yes
    -Options > Coherence > Allow applications… = Yes
    -Options > Coherence > Disable Windows Aero = No
    -Options > Full Screen > Use Mac OS X Full Screen = Yes
    -Options > Full Screen > Scale to fit screen = Stretch
    -Options > Full Screen > Use all displays full screen = Yes
    -Hardware > Video > 3D acceleration = DirectX10
    -Hardware > Video > Enable vertical synch = Yes
    -Hardware > Video > Resolution = More Space

Windows:
    -Display > Resolution = 2880 x 1800
    -Display > Make text large/small... = 100%
    -Display > Adjust ClearType = Yes
    -Display > Set custom DPI = 150%
    -Display > Use Windows XP Style = Yes
    -Personalization > Mouse pointers > Pointers > Scheme = Windows Aero (system scheme)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  8. beta_mawelat

beta_mawelat Bit poster

I was about to give up, not to use Parallels at all. This works, thanks for your handwork. I am deleting Vmware & Virtualbox, this is a winner. You have made my day, I have been struggling for month.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  9. imnotplutonium

imnotplutonium Bit poster

Thanks so much, this was really annoying. This is working for me so far but the text is still a little small for me. I'll just get used to it until there is a better fix.

10. wdfmph

wdfmph Bit poster

thanks it worked for me

thank you. this solution works for me

11. Baldy_

Baldy_ Bit poster

where is this options section you speak of in Parallels? do you mean preferences? because i cant find those options under preferences.

12. bamciver

bamciver Bit poster

Look under the 'Configure...' menu.

13. Baldy_

Baldy_ Bit poster

you must have an older version, there is none of that in v9.

14. bamciver

bamciver Bit poster

I'm running the very latest version (build 9) and it's there. Configure is under the Virtual Machine menu on the menu bar, or it can be accessed by right clicking the Parallels icon in the dock.

15. Baldy_

Baldy_ Bit poster

strange, i have none of that...

Screenshot 2014-08-20 08.54.59.png

16. bamciver

bamciver Bit poster

I've circled it in red.

Attached Files:

17. truonganhle

truonganhle Bit poster