OS/2 2.0 does not boot in 4.0

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by mvcube, Jan 23, 2009.

1. mvcube

mvcube Member

Hi!

I tried to migrate an OS/2 2.0 virtual machine to Parallels 4. It no longer boots. I even don't get to the boot manager. Booting from installation floppy 0 isn't working either. I tried to create a new virtual machine and tried to boot it from the floppy image but no luck. :(

Probably a BIOS change that disables the boot?

I've attached the floppy image 00.img for your convenience. If you get this to boot the issue should be fixed.

Greetings from Germany

Marcus

Attached Files:

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please check that FDD is enabled and connected in VM - Configure - Hardware - Floppy Disk

3. mvcube

mvcube Member

FDD is enabled. Booting from the HD fails with the same message: Just nothing happens.

4. John@Parallels

Boot image is not correct, you need to use software like WinImage to create floppy format, not Disk utility

5. mvcube

mvcube Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I can mount the very same image 00.IMG in another virtual machine. It is just a 1:1 copy of the original disk. Did you unzip the file I posted? The file should have a length of exactly 1,474,560. I can't boot from the HD image either. I assume that the emulated BIOS does not recognize the boot code correctly.

6. John@Parallels

7. mvcube

mvcube Member

Thanks for the hint. My test with OS/2 2.0 is just for the fun of it. It was the very first version of OS/2 I've come across during my career as a software developer.